Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
What the hell do ATV riders have to do with some old lady feeding bears? They aren't forcing this woman to feed the bears are they? Furthermore, unless they are riding on public land, no judge can order them to stop, only the owner of the property.

Perhaps if you would ever consider researching a little before posting the things that you do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 09:11 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Not a fan of ATVs for recreation. Also cannot support feeding bear at one's house. Not doing the bears a favor and, though I'm willing to let this woman make her own foolish choices, she's desensitizing the bears to humans and putting them and other people at risk of harmful interactions.

Finally, she doesn't get a pass from me for being aggressive toward a cop regardless of her age.
are you one of those people who believes that police officers always tell the truth ? I dont for one have had several lie on police reports and when taking the stand in court ...

Old 02-04-2014, 09:18 AM

^^^ I agree. I'd be surprised if the report did show truth.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:20 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Perhaps if you would ever consider researching a little before posting the things that you do....
Research what? We're talking about an elderly lady who was arrested for feeding bears in defiance of court orders. What has that to do with people riding ATVs?

Old 02-04-2014, 11:22 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,078 times
"This is out of her character to act as she did," Tedder said.
Tedder added that Musselman would not have intentionally broken the law.
Musselman's former students want to get her back home as soon as possible because her husband is dying of cancer.
They say the couple has no children and no caregiver.
They are also working to find a mental health advocate to go before a judge on her behalf".

I know what she was doing was wrong and dangerous, but come on. Putting an 81 year old sweet lady in jail is overkill, and after reading what her past students have said, I wonder about her mental state. I took care of my mom in her 80's and know 1st hand they can be a bit "scrambled" in the head at that age. My mom couldn't turn on the heat or a water faucet by herself. She'd answer the phone with the tv remote. This dear woman is also taking care of a dying husband, and I don't believe she understands what she's doing.

They can explain it a million times, she cannot help not getting it. Shame on them for not finding a better solution. What if the bears break into the home now and kill the husband, looking for food? Yes she started the problem, but jailing her is not the answer! Send that lady back home and stop keeping her from the last moments she has with her spouse. If she has the money, hire someone to watch her. Heck, sounds like she needs help anyway. We've become a heartless society if this is the best we can do with a problem.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:30 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Getting ate by a Bear doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Getting ate by a Bear doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

I think I can agree with you there!

Old 02-04-2014, 12:11 PM

334 posts, read 585,214 times
At 81, cognitive difficulties could be present. I believe this was the case is a similar situation, I think it was near Coos Bay, Oregon, with an elderly lady feeding bears and feeding them and feeding them. She did not have the capacity to reason it out and stop it on her own. Very sad situations.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:22 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
We've become a heartless society if this is the best we can do with a problem.
It seems the only other solutions that present themselves are either:

A: remove the woman and her husband to a facility where they can get care and not be tempted to feed the bears, or
B: remove or kill the bears.

Either of those options would probably be attacked as hearless as well.

When you habituate a dangerous carnivorous wild animal to the point the equate humans with food, if they are hungry and the human doesn't give them food, they will become food.

Life isn't a Disney movie, sometimes the choices that are left after someone does something stupid like feeding bears are all negative.
Nobody wins, especially the bears.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:35 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
are you one of those people who believes that police officers always tell the truth ? I dont for one have had several lie on police reports and when taking the stand in court ...

Not any kind of person that you would know. But that she was warned is well documented. That she was educated on why she was harming bears was documented. She refused to comply with requests from police. She cared more for herself than the bears. (People only feed wildlife because a) they are ignorant, and b) it makes them feel good.)

I agree with breeinmo that the woman most likely has some mental health issue, but I would not consider someone who harms wildlife to be "sweet." Selfish at best.

I hope that by taking the action of jailing this woman and keeping her safe, an alternative living situation will be found for her and her husband. With her poor judgment, why is she caring for anyone much less someone very ill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature