Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:36 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times

Advertisements

Well then what about every resident with a bird feeder? They are feeding the bears as well. What about residents that put their garbage cans out the night before pickup or even before that?

I am well aware just like most all people that it is not wise to feed the bears and that it can actually make the poor bear(s) get shot dead for doing what comes natural to it.

I still feel that a deal can be struck with her by using the concept of banning the hoards of loud ATVs that encircle her home 360 degrees. Show her how the bears will benefit by that if she agrees to stop feeding them herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 12:40 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Not any kind of person that you would know. But that she was warned is well documented. That she was educated on why she was harming bears was documented. She refused to comply with requests from police. She cared more for herself than the bears. (People only feed wildlife because a) they are ignorant, and b) it makes them feel good.)

I agree with breeinmo that the woman most likely has some mental health issue, but I would not consider someone who harms wildlife to be "sweet." Selfish at best.

I hope that by taking the action of jailing this woman and keeping her safe, an alternative living situation will be found for her and her husband. With her poor judgment, why is she caring for anyone much less someone very ill?

I can't believe you say that seriously. Jailing an 81 year old woman who's husband is dying of cancer?
One of the lowest things I've ever heard said in my lifetime.
And, "why is she caring for anyone much less someone very ill?" It's something called love.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:02 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
And when one of those bears mauls her face or breaks into her home...

I'll stop there.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:13 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
[/color][/b]

I can't believe you say that seriously. Jailing an 81 year old woman who's husband is dying of cancer?
And, "why is she caring for anyone much less someone very ill?" It's something called love.

Amen I think someone is missing a gene that the rest of us have LOL ...

Old 02-04-2014, 02:14 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Yeah let us all just put everyone who has a bird feeder or throws bread out to feed the birds in jail ...that will really solve the problem huh ?

Old 02-04-2014, 03:23 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,784,210 times
Quote:
[/color][/b]

You surely joke.

I pity the poor man whose care is the responsibility of someone with poor judgment. Someone who cares more for her own ego (Savior of the bear) than his well being. She had been warned. Her husband relies on her. She disregards his need, perhaps, for her selfish little cause. She knows she may get arrested. Knows she is the caregiver of an ill man. Disregards his well-being? A cause which she had been shown was actually harmful to the creatures she claimed to care about. None of that sounds like "love." Not for the husband or the bears.

Obviously has mental health issues. Hope her husband now gets competent caregivers and she is protected from herself.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:09 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,985 times
Quote:
Well then what about every resident with a bird feeder? They are feeding the bears as well. What about residents that put their garbage cans out the night before pickup or even before that?

I am well aware just like most all people that it is not wise to feed the bears and that it can actually make the poor bear(s) get shot dead for doing what comes natural to it.

I still feel that a deal can be struck with her by using the concept of banning the hoards of loud ATVs that encircle her home 360 degrees. Show her how the bears will benefit by that if she agrees to stop feeding them herself.
I think everyone understands what you're saying, but to me the issue is that of (i) the woman who was feeding the bears, (ii) the people who feed birds, (iii) the people who ride ATVs on public trails and (iv) the people who put their trash out early, only one of the above violates any statute (with the possible exception of putting trash out early in bear country - I don't really know).

Old 02-04-2014, 06:34 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
She's going to get an involuntary commitment which, in fact, is likely why there's no bond and she's being held. As she is a danger to herself and OTHERS which is the criteria.

It's obvious she has mental problems. In the very least dementia and doesn't even know what she's doing OR is in the stage where she is non-compliant, argumentative and combative.

Quote:
Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission officials told ABC Action News trouble with Musselman began last year when they had to euthanize a black bear she kept feeding.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:36 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:

You cannot strike DEALS with the mentally ill.

They already tried ALL THAT, did you read the article. They already had to euth one bear because of her.
Quote:
Her former students fear Musselman cannot fully comprehend the judges orders or the seriousness of the charges.
Both she and the husband need guardians appointed.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:49 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
Feeding a wild animal is never helpful to the animal.

I've been told of a co-worker who feeds wild hawks with dead mice he gets from the pet store. As far as I know, it's a felony.

If you want to see how feeding wildlife is really misinformed, watch or read The Hawk Is Dying. The lead character tried to overcome his mediocre life by capturing a wild hawk. Very misinformed.

That being said, I don't think they should jail this woman. But I am biased because I have my own story to tell...the law is supposed to be about intention.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 02-04-2014 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature