Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 11:03 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,585,753 times

Advertisements

I'm in RI.. we've had flocks of wild turkey a lot more this year than usual.
I've followed flocks of 20 or more and just now saw the largest flock I've ever
seen here. There were over 80 of them. They had to cross a fairly busy street
and flew. Now, I've seen them fly before over short distances and maybe 40-50
feet in the air but what I just saw was the highest I've ever seen.. over 120 feet
in the air.. they flew right over the canopy of mature maples clearing them
by a solid 20 feet higher.. not all of them, but somewhere between 5-10 of the group
went that high right over the trees into the woods. Others flew between the trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 11:28 AM

30,484 posts, read 16,194,511 times
I was surprised when I saw them fly like that too. And then some of them sat in threes. I'd never seen that before either.

Live and learn.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:42 AM

734 posts, read 1,635,751 times
I have flocks of turkeys that come to my house every day to eat the spilled bird seed. My road is quiet but when there is a car coming and they want to cross they will fly. It's an amazing sight. I've also seen them sleep high in the trees in the back yard. I have to say, I love the turkeys. They are smart but pretty doofy. The males are hysterical when they fluff out and parade around, dragging a wing on the ground.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:01 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,596,028 times
How interesting that you others are seeing a lot of wild turkey, too! Over the past two months I've seen two different flocks in my area, about 20 miles apart. Coming home the other day I had to stop as part of a flock crossed the road, and counted around 40 hens - didn't see a male.

I got on the MN DNR site and read that winter mortality in turkeys can get to 60%, and I would think this extremely cold winter would take a toll on the flocks.

But it's just fascinating to me that so many of us are seeing so many turkeys! I'm in MN, where are you guys?

Old 01-30-2014, 05:06 PM

734 posts, read 1,635,751 times
Eastern Long Island, NY. Tons of turkeys. I did see them feeling the cold during the last deep freeze but I gave them black oil sunflower and corn to help them out. Also, my bird bath has a heater and they can reach it so they have water to drink when everything is frozen.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=291589437662559

Old 02-01-2014, 05:39 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,152,211 times
I'm in Michigan and have seen more wild turkeys this winter than usual, for sure!

But not around my house. I'd feed them if there were any around me. I've seen them on walks and along the road in wooded areas while driving though.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:31 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,596,028 times
I went to a meeting at a Nature Center about 25 miles away yesterday, and asked the naturalist if this year's flocking was any different than other years. She said that she didn't think so, that a flock of about 90 is near their center every winter.

I still think it's odd that so many of us are noticing large flocks this winter, though.

I'll bet most of you already knew this, but I had to get her to explain to me how wild turkeys nest and sleep. She said they "nest" - meaning lay eggs - on the ground, but they sleep up high in trees at night. Which kind of negates my idea that they are flocking to keep warm when they sleep. Well, maybe they flock to keep warm as they feed during the day?

I used to live 320 miles north of here and never saw wild turkey there. Maybe because wolves and other preditors were so plentiful there? I do remember seeing lots of turkeys when I lived in OK - but in the country, not in town. That video of the turkey going after the Fedex guy was strange.

Let's watch our turkey flocks year round this year and discuss over time. An unofficial turkey study by CDers!

Old 02-02-2014, 11:20 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
A few days ago at the university I work for, a flock of about 20 turkeys took flight and one of the kids whipped out his phone to take a video. He managed to capture a more spatially-challenged turkey slamming into a 3rd floor window: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaRT_KaZF6g

Turkey was OK! Just dazed and got its foot caught. The girls in the dorm room had their shade drawn when the bird hit the window, and when they opened the shade to be confronted with a turkey, their screams seemed to have woken up the turkey from its daze.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:55 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,137,865 times
They are but another group of wild animals adjusting to the presence of Man. More turkeys means more predators like wolves, coyotes, lynx and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature