Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 07:43 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times

Advertisements

Beavers are excellent architects and engineers. Many burrowing animals build excellent shelters with kitchens (food storage areas), bathrooms (waste collection area), bedrooms (sleeping quarters), and escape routes. Even insects deserve admiration. Termite mounds provide ventilation for the underground inhabitants, It has been said that the variety that erects spade-shaped mounds positions those structures in such a way so that the winter sun rays strike the broad side of the mound for maximum possible heat absorption, while the summer sun during the hottest part of the day strikes the narrow side of the mound.

With these "lower" animals so adept at building shelters for themselves, just imagine the efficiency of those species higher up the ladder. Let's see .... when it starts to rain, our intelligent cousins, the simians, tear off a large leaf and then hold it over their heads to avoid getting too wet. And then they ... oh oh, that's all they do.

Something's wrong with this picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 12:47 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
How much of the shelter building by mammals is done for rain? Not much that I know of. Northern species, that I'm aware of (say beaver or gray squirrel) generally build to protect from the cold temperatures, which will kill.

It also has to do with overall life history. Primates keep moving (within reason) for food, often to the next patch of fresh fruit, while many of the shelter building mammals stay within a pretty defined area so the return on investment would be considerably higher. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I can't think of many wide ranging mammals that invest much in shelter building.

I would appreciate hearing about any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature