Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite of the big cats?
Lion 20 17.39%
Tiger 36 31.30%
Jaguar 16 13.91%
Leopard 12 10.43%
Snow Leopard 7 6.09%
Clouded Leopard 4 3.48%
Cougar 15 13.04%
Cheetah 15 13.04%
Ocelot 2 1.74%
Serval 1 0.87%
Caracal 1 0.87%
Bobcat 3 2.61%
Lynx 8 6.96%
Other(If I forgot one.) 8 6.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:37 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,196,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I voted for "cougar" but I like to refer to them as "puma".
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergenboy View Post
I was going to put them down as Puma, but I realized that Puma refers also to the genus that includes cougar, Jaguar, and even some extinct felines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Oh, & I did know the words cougar/puma were interchangeable, but I thought lynx/bobcat were the same, as well. Oops.
Puma, cougar, mountain lion, catamount, all the same animal, Felis Concolor. In Spanish speaking nations it is puma, in North America, cougar or mountain lion.

No, the lynx and bobcat are not the same animal. An Arizona bobcat is different than a Alberta lynx, and quite differnet from a lynx from northern Sweden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 12:07 PM

4,321 posts, read 5,107,061 times
I love em all but voted for the Jaguar. I had the pleasure of spending a week in the Pantanal, the massive wet lands partially in Brazil. I diidn't see a Jaguar of course but heard stories and was definately in their territory.

There is alot of good news in terms of keeping the jaguar's territory as large and uninterrupted as possible from the Pantanal thru Central America. Many governments pay cattle farmers for the occasional loss due to jaguars so there is a healthy man-cat relationship going on (for now). And if we can keep jaguar territory strong, many other species benefit.

As I am aging and will have some extra cash upon my passing, I want to leave as much money as possible to jaguar protection. I actually just decided this so if anyone knows of a local charity where the money would be used efficiently, please let me know. The big charities like WWF don't cut it.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:09 PM

30,458 posts, read 21,652,521 times
I'm partial to Black Panthers but who doesn't like an occasional Hello Kitty
Attached Thumbnails
What is your favorite big cat?-kitty.jpg  

Old 02-26-2014, 12:54 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,732,220 times
The Jaguar

I find their color pattern aesthetically pleasing, I like their size (third largest, and the largest in the Americas) and the fact that they are occasionally found in the United States (Arizona, periodically ranging in from a stable permanent range in Mexico) and historically were found in all the border states and beyond.

The mountain lion runs second, simply because it's a moderately large cat that I hope to one day see while out hiking.

On a side note, the Lion (not the mis-named mountain lion - rather, what is sometimes called the African Lion, even though a small population persists in India) used to range into North America, being extirpated here only about 11,000 years ago.
American lion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-26-2014, 01:23 PM
bjh

59,746 posts, read 30,182,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
You're so right, BJH. I had a tabby, who lived to be 19... she was 7-lbs her whole life... quite small & quite fierce. She was always more than a bit wild... didn't like to be picked up or held at all & would thrash around like on one of those old slow motion fishing shows when fishermen were trying to reel in a marlin. If anyone patted her more than 3 times, she angrily & quickly swatted them 3 times with one of her big, front triple paws.

I used to tell people that if she were any bigger, I'd have hidden in my room all day & asked for permission to come out. Pilling her always drew blood, just from her thrashing. Thank goodness she was strong & healthy.

I liked that li'l 7-lb-er bossing me around... little vixen.
We have a fully grown 5-lb tabby who is in charge of the universe. Just soze you know.

All our cats are petted and sweet talked every day so they're pretty tame. I'm glad they're all healthy and don't need any medications. I just recently gave them their spring anti-flea treatment, drop between the shoulder blades. They didn't care for it, but took it with as much good grace as they could muster. No claws or anything. They all know they're loved.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:33 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,317,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
We have a fully grown 5-lb tabby who is in charge of the universe. Just soze you know.
I understand. Kitt'Ns are the goddesses of the universe... rightly so.

I had a 25-lb Angora lapcat. So docile & sweet & so unlike the Turkish tabby. I could pat her all day, everyday & she loved being held, brushed & carried... physically challenging for an 8-stone lass. Even though the little one was 7-lbs, she terrorized that poor Angora & I had to separate them frequently. The only caveat was the Angora was sick constantly, but was easy to pill or to give injections... one becomes quite good at it, if necessary. The trick? Approach from behind, stealth... & spring into action, pronto.

The Abyssinian was a bear to hold down... fortunately, she was only ill 1-2 times during her 19-yrs of reign... Simone the Terrible...

Now that I'm in SoCal, it's challenging to have animals as a renter... even indoor cats... many places don't allow any pets. Within the next few years, I'll have to figure out a solution. The SO loves big dogs & I adore cats & miss them roaming their territories at will & bossing me around.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:54 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,196,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Cats are amazing hunters and athletes. That's one of the reasons I respect them. Anyone who has ever so much had to give medication to a reluctant housecat knows how fierce they can be. Being on the receiving end of claws and teeth of a big cat would be unthinkable. Makes me glad I'm not an antelope or a mouse.
Amazing, is it not, how when being forced to swallow a pill a domestic cat can outwrestle a strong man 20 times their size? I happen to also be very fond of dogs, but have long maintained that in a one on one serious fight between a feline and a canine at exactly equal weights, the dog would not have a chance. Have had dog supporters strongly dispute this, but am not convinced, and maintain this viewpoint.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:58 PM

16,882 posts, read 16,002,167 times
The latest and best flea medication is: Comfortis

It works within an hour and for 30 days total, is chewable with a flavor that cats love and is less expensive than Revolution (liquid applied to nape).

Again, this is new and available at your vet.

My very picky kitties ate it like it was special treats.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:05 PM

126,113 posts, read 18,867,237 times
My favorite big cat is a Tiger,after all they are the Kings of cats I love their strength and power,yet they are so graceful and beautiful. Shame that they are still being hunted down.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:17 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,317,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I'm partial to Black Panthers but who doesn't like an occasional Hello Kitty
You HK vixen. I have a small collection of HK products. My new fave? A roomy handbag I received as a gift. Relatives only buy HK goodies for me as gifts (key chains, wallets, charms, etc). How lucky am I???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature