U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 05:13 PM

13,603 posts, read 26,316,773 times

Advertisements

The same zoo that killed the giraffe last month, has put down two lions, including two cubs to make room for a new male lion. Maybe someone can post the link, I don't know how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 05:34 PM

14,009 posts, read 14,473,281 times
Link is here: Zoo euthanizes four lions, despite giraffe backlash

I think the argument that birth control interrupts their natural behavior is BS. THEY'RE IN A ZOO. Their natural behavior is already quite interrupted. I mean, for god's sake, they also hand-raise polar bears over there. It's just a bizarre argument they're putting up. And with the giraffe, they received other offers from zoos that would have taken it.

I'm not really a softy when it comes to this kind of thing, but the needless public execution of an animal just strikes me as kind of insane. What exactly is the zoo trying to prove?

Old 03-25-2014, 05:50 PM

7,377 posts, read 13,757,500 times
...and fed them to the giraffes, because turnabout is fair play.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,193,100 times
This really angers me, just like the giraffe thing did! Zoos are supposedly for protecting animals. Either let the animals go to other zoos that will appreciate them, or release them back into the wild!

Old 03-26-2014, 01:03 AM

5,933 posts, read 9,724,546 times
The director of the Copenhagen Zoo gave an interview after the killing of the giraffe in which he argued that the point of the Zoo was to preserve lineages of animals, sort of being a genetic Noah's ark, and if a lineage was superfluous, they'd kill the animals. Not one word about a Zoo being educational or even enjoyable for the public, which is mighty strange, considering that the CPH Zoo is supported by public funds. It used to be a wonderful institution, run by people who understood about the Zoo animals being ambassadors for their cousins in the wild. It existed for the citizens of Copenhagen and visitors, not merely for some abstract idea of genetic preservation. Nothing wrong with genetic preservation--but if you don't get that your visitors (who are paying admission, and often develop emotional attachments to the animals) don't want you to kill healthy animals, then you shouldn't be running a Zoo, but just some secluded nature preserve. But I suppose the trend began years ago when they stopped naming the animals, and merely put up signs with the species designations, depersonalizing the individual animals. Weird, in an era where we understand more and more about animals having personalities. But the Zoo wanted to be considered a research institution, not an entertainment center. Cold, cold, cold. And now they've killed a whole lion family. They just don't get it, I guess...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or