Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 01:12 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times

Advertisements

There was a nest in front of our neighbor's place, so the neighbors stood vigil over the nest. They picked up all the emerging babies and took them to the water, so no birds or anything would get them.

I was glad they protected them, but it occurred to me that maybe the babies NEED that sprint over the sand to the water to develop their new muscles, in order to cope in the sea? I was reminded of a well-meaning kid that "helped" a hatching butterfly to get out of its cocoon, which ended up killing it.

I'm glad they increased their astronomical odds by at least getting to the water....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 01:16 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,239,488 times
Yeah, they should have done some homework.

https://cnso.nova.edu/seaturtles/ways-to-help.html

Old 10-17-2018, 01:17 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
There was a nest in front of our neighbor's place, so the neighbors stood vigil over the nest. They picked up all the emerging babies and took them to the water, so no birds or anything would get them.

I was glad they protected them, but it occurred to me that maybe the babies NEED that sprint over the sand to the water to develop their new muscles, in order to cope in the sea? I was reminded of a well-meaning kid that "helped" a hatching butterfly to get out of its cocoon, which ended up killing it.

I'm glad they increased their astronomical odds by at least getting to the water....
I agree with you. Best not to interfere with nature. They hatch and travel towards the sea at night, usually. No birds are around at that time. It's in the water that it a difficult struggle to live occurs...

I have watched turtles hatching and then making it to sea, an awesome thing...

some turtle patrols will shine flashlights to show them the way to sea....but otherwise they are left on their own.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:21 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
I agree best not to interfere. I do approve of the beach communities who turn off artificial light during that time, so the turtles don't get confused on which way to go.

Otherwise, you're not allowing survival of the fittest to rule. Also, you're denying the birds a life-sustaining diet.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:35 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Yeah, they should have done some homework.

https://cnso.nova.edu/seaturtles/ways-to-help.html
Thanks for finding this. Really states it well. I forwarded it to our neighbors in case this wonderful event happens again. They have Rottweilers so I am surprised the mother turtle thought that was a good spot!

But then, I suppose her ancestors had been coming to that spot long before the neighbors were there...

Old 10-22-2018, 01:34 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree best not to interfere. I do approve of the beach communities who turn off artificial light during that time, so the turtles don't get confused on which way to go.

...and thereby denying the turtles an opportunity to adapt to their new habitat. A habitat that now includes city lights and natural light. Just think, if there was a turtle in that those towns that had an adaptation to avoid artificial light, it never made it to sea. All the while, hundreds of less evolutionary fit individuals did.

Unlike you, I think it best not to interfere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature