U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 10:23 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,169,250 times

Advertisements

I just read that the U.N. has judged the research killings of whales by Japan is unlawful. I am glad this is finally happening. They have got away with this for way to long, now two other countries also have this judgment against them but continue to kill them for food. I am waiting to see if this is abide'd by Japan or if they just slow down the killing or blow it off.
I am in no way a bleeding heart for the non killing of animals, but this has always seemed overboard to me. Sensible management of animal populations when needed is still the best option, and if they can make money off it or feed people the better the use of them. I also believe in the extreme control of certain populations of animals that are endangering the other animals in their areas of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 12:41 PM

17,199 posts, read 22,931,354 times
From a quick glance, there's two glaring holes in this. First, redesigning the whaling research program would be fine under the ruling. More importantly, Japan could simply withdraw from the IWC (a non-binding organization) and not be bound by its moratorium, as other nations have. I don't think Japan will stop whaling.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:00 PM
bjh

35,731 posts, read 24,656,570 times
About time. Shut 'em down.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:23 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,149,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
From a quick glance, there's two glaring holes in this. First, redesigning the whaling research program would be fine under the ruling. More importantly, Japan could simply withdraw from the IWC (a non-binding organization) and not be bound by its moratorium, as other nations have. I don't think Japan will stop whaling.
That was my first thought... How would this be enforceable?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:36 AM

527 posts, read 995,804 times
Quote:
I don't think Japan will stop whaling.
Neither do I. It's ironic that they only take them for 'research,' yet you can still readily buy canned whale meat in Japan. I wonder what kind of valuable scientific 'research' requires the killing of well over 1,000 whales a year .

Norway and Iceland simply withdrew from the IWC when they wanted to start commercial whaling again. I think that's what Japan will do this time.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:12 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,910,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I just read that the U.N. has judged the research killings of whales by Japan is unlawful. I am glad this is finally happening. They have got away with this for way to long, now two other countries also have this judgment against them but continue to kill them for food. I am waiting to see if this is abide'd by Japan or if they just slow down the killing or blow it off.
I am in no way a bleeding heart for the non killing of animals, but this has always seemed overboard to me. Sensible management of animal populations when needed is still the best option, and if they can make money off it or feed people the better the use of them. I also believe in the extreme control of certain populations of animals that are endangering the other animals in their areas of living.
Humans are the only population consistently endangering other animals. Nature got along just fine long before we intruded and changed the balance.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:07 PM

5,721 posts, read 13,921,613 times
The Japanese take the Minke whales, by 90% volume, that are known only in the south arctic region. They number about 225,000. The whales reach maturity at about 6-8 years of age. Generally they have one baby per 2 years. Assuming a full generation per every 2 years you would have over 50,000 new calves per year. Japan taking 1000 of these mature whales is hardly over hunting and the Minke whale, despite all of the hype, is not in decline at all. This is just another over blown issue that doesn't exist. FWIW, Japan does not and hasn't harvested the humpbacks at all. A lot of the canned whale meat for sale in Japan comes from Norway and Iceland who still kill about 1000 whales a year each. I wonder why it is that Japan gets a black eye when folks on the other side of the world can do it and in larger volume yet not get harassed over it? Is it because they are Japanese? Is it becuase of the TV program Whale Wars that makes the Japanese look like Bonzai warriors killing everything in sight despite it being untrue? So why the hate towards the Japanese?

Old 04-11-2014, 06:49 PM

527 posts, read 995,804 times
Norway once killed almost as many as Japan, so they're not off the hook, either. But Iceland's tally is a tenth of what Japan reports.

I have never been to Japan, but all of the canned whale meat I've seen coming into the U.S. from Japan has been canned in Japan.

I think the reason Japan is looked down on so much more than Norway or Iceland for their whaling activities is that while the latter two countries have likewise objected to the IWC moratorium, they openly whale for commercial purposes. Japan, on the other hand, seems to feel the need to do it under what appears to many to be a ruse. Japan's population is also much larger and whale meat has traditionally been much more in demand there, so I think many see the potential for greater damage by Japanese whaling.

Even if the number of whales is high and whaling would be sustainable, the moratorium was meant to be an international agreement. I probably wouldn't be all that enamored of my neighbor if everyone else in the neighborhood agreed to stop stealing cable TV, but he kept doing it. Not to mention kept doing it under a shady pretense.

Moreover, the fact that Japan has traditionally been involved in disreputable practices such as pirate whaling and bribing IWC members for support probably doesn't help their reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or