U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:23 AM

55,004 posts, read 43,847,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
I saw a video of a herd of elk running away from there. They were jumping the fence. The poor little thinks looked so scared. LOL. There was big 4.8 magnitude at yellowstone earthquake a month ago, the largest since the 80s. Isn't that what happened at Mt. St. Helen's? They had a huge earthquake and then the thing erupted? I wouldn't listen to those "dis-info agents". Whenever you see a huge herd of animals running away from nature, something is about to go down.

I am so fascinated by geology and nature. I should have gone to school for something in that field.
1. Mt. St. Helens....the earthquake ruptured the northface which was weakened by the pressure from beneath. Basically, the earthquake knocked the cap off the shaken bottle of soda...the eruption therefore was viturally simultaneous....not months later.

2. Whenever you see a huge herd of animals running....it's generally from a predator. Elk, antelope etc. didn't evolve to be fast by running from volcanoes.

P.S. It is the height of irony to me that you are rolling your eyes at "dis-info agents" because they are refuting one of the on-line national enquirer type websites.....oh and then following it up with your disclosure of a complete lack of education in those fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 11:54 PM

1,327 posts, read 839,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
I saw a video of a herd of elk running away from there. They were jumping the fence. The poor little thinks looked so scared. LOL. There was big 4.8 magnitude at yellowstone earthquake a month ago, the largest since the 80s. Isn't that what happened at Mt. St. Helen's? They had a huge earthquake and then the thing erupted? I wouldn't listen to those "dis-info agents". Whenever you see a huge herd of animals running away from nature, something is about to go down.

I am so fascinated by geology and nature. I should have gone to school for something in that field.
I foster and always have a s***load of animals and they KNOW. I don't care what the stupid people think. I have gone through a tornado, earthquake and hurricanes and my animals have always known before they hit.

I trust their "animal Instincts" 100%.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
I foster and always have a s***load of animals and they KNOW. I don't care what the stupid people think. I have gone through a tornado, earthquake and hurricanes and my animals have always known before they hit.

I trust their "animal Instincts" 100%.
No one is arguing that animals can't sense things.

Now if I were to show you a video of animals running you'd be able to tell me it was because of an impending volcanic eruption and not from a predator that spooked them?

My dog freaked out in the park the other day, I was pretty sure it was because with her superior senses she'd spotted a fox.....and not that an asteroid was about to hit us.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:13 PM

10,576 posts, read 7,622,790 times
This thread was started 50 days ago.

Still think those animals were running from the Yellowstone volcano?

Are they still running? If so, they must be getting really tired.

Why would they run? If they had at least 50 days before the eruption, why not just leisurely stroll? Or why run at all if the supervolcano was going to erupt and wipe out half the continent? Maybe they were going to run for thousands of miles?

How would this ability to detect imminent volcanic eruptions develop, considering how rare such occurrences are? The pressures to select for animals inclined to bug-out over eruptions that very rarely occur, and when they do typically cause such vast destruction that running is futile, would be all but non-existent.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Whoa! Two ducks just flew past my window at break-neck speed! I wonder what that means? Supernova somewhere in the galactic neighborhood? Zombie apocalypse? McDonald's is about to stop selling the McRib again?

The ducks know! The ducks always know!

To the bunker!

Old 05-23-2014, 07:40 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,764,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I think it's difficult to overstate the effect that a massive eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera would have.

Approximately half the world's grain crop is produced in the American Midwest, and almost that entire region would be covered in ash as much as several feet thick. In one hour, you just lost almost half the world's production of grain for at least one growing season, and probably a lot more than that. Add to that the fact that the remaining agricultural regions of the world will have significantly poorer crops for however long it takes for the global climate to recover from the ash in the atmosphere, and it's a dead-sure guarantee that you'd have worldwide famine on a scale never before seen.

In addition, it would take many years - possibly decades - to rebuild the infrastructure damaged by the ash that would cover much of the Lower 48. Entire states would be crushed and buried under volcanic ash. Think back a few years to the effect that Hurricane Katrina had on New Orleans - a city of just a few thousand square miles - and extrapolate that to as much as two million square miles of the central United States. It took years just to get New Orleans rebuilt and the citizens resettled into livable dwellings - how long do you think it would take to restore a third of the United States to a habitable condition?

Further, consider not just the time it would take but how much it would cost. The economy of the United States would be devastated, basically destroyed - not just by the cost of the rescue and relocation of the survivors and restoration of the infrastructure, but by the loss of commerce when basically half the country suddenly stops producing any goods or providing any services.

I don't think the word hyperbole is even applicable in a discussion about the effects of a large-scale Yellowstone supereruption. If it does happen in our lifetime, this could quite possibly be the single most devastating event in the history of the human race, and that's not an exaggeration at all.
Probably not an extinction event but kiss your 401k goodbye. Chaos, famine, disease, wars - those killed in the initial event will be the lucky ones. Oh well, on to more important things. Has Kanye West said anything stupid lately? Is Lindsay Lohan still in rehab? Has Justin Beiber been arrested in the last hour?

Old 05-23-2014, 09:18 PM

584 posts, read 492,214 times
I first read this article in February, but this quote still makes me laugh
Quote:
“These guys could take a study on pika farts and reinterpret it as a looming indicator of destruction,” YVO research geologist Jacob Lowenstern, 50, told me. “The only thing that has changed lately is the ability to spread rumors quickly via social media, and the willingness of some of the authors to misrepresent monitoring data that’s on the Internet.”
They're Gonna Blow! | The Footprint | OutsideOnline.com

I live 75 miles from Yellowstone and I don't know anyone who's even slightly concerned about an eruption during our lifetime.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:26 PM

14,009 posts, read 14,473,281 times
When I was moving away from Jersey to Denver, my father actually brought up the Yellowstone volcano in a half-hearted attempt to keep me from moving. It was pretty hysterical. We were at dinner at Cracker Barrel and I went through (again) the reasons I was leaving and he says, "Well, you should be fine as long as that volcano under Yellowstone doesn't erupt."

It was highly amusing and kind of adorable.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:20 PM
bjh
Status: "I know y'all are getting sick of me. :D" (set 18 hours ago)

35,732 posts, read 24,661,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No one is arguing that animals can't sense things.

Now if I were to show you a video of animals running you'd be able to tell me it was because of an impending volcanic eruption and not from a predator that spooked them?

My dog freaked out in the park the other day, I was pretty sure it was because with her superior senses she'd spotted a fox.....and not that an asteroid was about to hit us.
True.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:22 PM
bjh
Status: "I know y'all are getting sick of me. :D" (set 18 hours ago)

35,732 posts, read 24,661,667 times
Animals run for many reasons. I believe they can SENSE things because they have better SENSES. They can hear sounds our ears can't pick up on. Now, if when they really are freaking out because of an impending natural disaster, if they could only tell us which one is coming.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:22 AM

Probably the best lesson from this thread is that some people haven't yet figured out that there is an entire cottage industry on the internet of gloom and doom \ conspiracy \ horrific impending disaster \ economic collapse \ bigfoot etc.

They make good money driving traffic to their site by baiting people with a pinch of truth and a gallon of misdirection.

Oh well, what do I care...I'm about to be rich just as soon as this Nigerian guy I'm helping out wires money to my bank account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or