U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 06:11 PM

8,022 posts, read 13,471,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I heard that you can mix baking soda and powdered sugar and snuff the little suckers with that.
Just put a little corn meal out for them. Works and you don't have to mix it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 07:01 PM

26,157 posts, read 16,103,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye
I wonder if you would feel the same way about fire ants? Many ants, including fire ants, can deliver painful bites
Well if they attack thats different! (Like Mosquitos or Bees) Of course its about survival then

Old 04-11-2014, 03:38 AM

15,898 posts, read 12,695,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Well if they attack thats different! (Like Mosquitos or Bees) Of course its about survival then
Here is the Northeast ants become active with the warmer Spring temperatures. They send out their scouts looking for food and new lodgings. Many times our homes are right in the middle of this foraging territory. If we have an undetected leaking roof or plumbing leak; the wood in our house might look very attractive for a new colony. If we can discourage the original scouts (that is not always possible); then we do not have the colony to contend with later. Kill or displace a few and you could save hundreds later.

Some years are worse than other years. We usually put down perimeter guards against them. We have had years, that there were so many it was hard to sleep, without being bitten. When that happens we end up with pesticides inside and outside the house. You have to reclaim your territory. Possibly 'natural/safe' deterrents would have worked when you have fewer ants?

Sometimes perimeter guards do not work. We had one year with many ants and we had out our guards. We did not know where they were coming from until we looked at our telephone and power lines - there was a constant parade coming and going on the wires coming into our house. Any foliage touching your house can also give them a bridge to invade.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:24 PM

26,157 posts, read 16,103,357 times
Ya I guess its part of nature to find a safe place to hold up (I dont think they mean any harm)

Old 04-12-2014, 08:47 AM

15,898 posts, read 12,695,051 times
Quote:
Ya I guess its part of nature to find a safe place to hold up (I dont think they mean any harm)
No, they probably don't mean any harm! Of course, we don't, when we walk across our lawn.

It is just a matter of perspective and a matter of survival.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:49 PM

734 posts, read 1,426,650 times
Years ago, where I lived, there were huge ant hills in the woods. I mean HUGE! Probably 3 feet high! I have to assume they were there for maybe even centuries and were probably quite a complex. My kids and I would walk the dogs and be in awe of the busy ants. I guess it could be equated to NYC but for ants. I was so sad when they sold off the woods and the bulldozers came in and just destroyed them all.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:30 AM

4,881 posts, read 5,072,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Ants are certainly fascinating creatures with a level of sophistication and organization that is uncommon in nature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
Years ago, where I lived, there were huge ant hills in the woods. I mean HUGE! Probably 3 feet high! I have to assume they were there for maybe even centuries and were probably quite a complex. My kids and I would walk the dogs and be in awe of the busy ants. I guess it could be equated to NYC but for ants. I was so sad when they sold off the woods and the bulldozers came in and just destroyed them all.
I also find them to be fascinating and we usually left them alone. However, carpenter ants can do
some damage to homes (and there was a time when they were everywhere in the house) and I can
understand the problem with fire ants (not in our area).
It is unfortunate when natural habitats are invaded with bulldozers in order to build new subdivisions
or commercial properties. It not only affects insects but other animals as well.
btw, I even go so far as to pick up worms on the sidewalk and put them back on grass or soil
as well as certain insects and take them back outside.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:33 AM

4,534 posts, read 7,526,637 times
Quote:
How do you feel about our little creatures called Ants??

If you find them in your house are you the kind that acts all crazy and starts commiting murder left and right??

I know many like this and its very sad.......... They dont hurt ya,why kill them for nothing?

I cant fathom doing that..... They dont deserve to lose thier lives just cause they are inside..... I think its mean and cruel to be quite frank!!!! (How would human animals like to lose thier lives JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE IN SOMEONE ELSES HOUSE (Who owns a gun for example))

What are your views????? -- I do not commit murder when I see our Insect friends,i try at all costs not to harm them.... THIER LIVES AND JUST AS IMPORTANT AS OURS in the grand scheme of things
In the south, we know that if we are hospitable to one, then their whole family will soon join them. When this happens, we bless their mound(s) with cornmeal or bathe them with a spray of Dawn dish liquid and H2O which instantly puts them to "sleep".

Have you ever been bitten by fire ants? Trust me, when those things attack your ankles, you'll run screaming all the way to water hose and later delight in killing them.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:41 AM

7,616 posts, read 2,792,102 times
Ants wear out their welcome when they start crawling all over your food, which is your sustenance providing nutrition to keep you alive. I don't like killing ants either because I used to play with them as a child till I got a sibling - they were my playmates among other "animals." What I do is I find the openings where they are coming from and just cover them with a small amount of Vaseline; unfortunately, a couple may get too close and get entombed in the ointment, but the others will back off. I don't like using insecticides of any kind.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:42 PM

9,086 posts, read 1,268,352 times
Ants have their own house they don't need to be in mine.

Apparently I thought differently when I was a kid...I was informed that I liked to go sit on the red ant pile at my grandparents house and play with them. However my grandmother didn't think that was very safe and doused them with boiling water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or