Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 02:14 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times

Advertisements

Ants have made their annual visit to my kitchen this week. Last year a drop of Terro on cardboard was all it took for them to carry it back to their outside home and not be on my kitchen counter. This year they are ignoring the Terro. Nearly a full bottle is left from last year, so apparently it loses power over time. I've added powered sugar to the Terro, so maybe that will do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 03:46 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Until you can stop them coming in your kitchen, keep a small squirt bottle of water with 1/2 teaspoon of dish liquid mixed in. It doesn't have to be exact. Squirt it on them and they die almost instantly.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:30 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Default Ant Pals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconess View Post
Ants have their own house they don't need to be in mine.

Apparently I thought differently when I was a kid...I was informed that I liked to go sit on the red ant pile at my grandparents house and play with them. However my grandmother didn't think that was very safe and doused them with boiling water.
It must of been sad seeing your grandmother do away with your pals. I think she was afraid you were going to be bitten by the red ants. I liked playing with ants, too, back in the day! Now, if I see one crawling on me I am disgusted.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:40 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Ya I guess its part of nature to find a safe place to hold up (I dont think they mean any harm)
No, they don't mean any harm. They're just doing what ants do - looking for food to take back to the colony.

The problem is, that ant who's crawling on my food right now was crawling around in the garbage can 10 minutes ago, and that presents a health risk to me and my wife. Now, granted, it's a pretty small ant, so it's a pretty small health risk - but it's still more risk than I care to accept.

His intentions are irrelevant. I'm going to kill him, and every one of his friends. Nothing personal; the world's just a tough place to be an ant.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:46 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Since we are talking about ants here, I want to say that they are very organized "animals." I once visited a museum and they had an ant farm with the worker ants going back and forth doing their job of carrying sticks or what looked like sticks, maybe it was food. I did notice that some ants carried heavier loads while other ants were slacking off and getting by with tiny bits. I was wondering at the time why some ants are motivated to carry heavier ones while other ants carried smaller ones and had an easier time and probably an easier life. What did the ants that carried heavier loads get for doing that?

Old 04-14-2014, 09:19 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I also find them to be fascinating and we usually left them alone. However, carpenter ants can do
some damage to homes (and there was a time when they were everywhere in the house) and I can
understand the problem with fire ants (not in our area).
It is unfortunate when natural habitats are invaded with bulldozers in order to build new subdivisions
or commercial properties. It not only affects insects but other animals as well.
btw, I even go so far as to pick up worms on the sidewalk and put them back on grass or soil
as well as certain insects and take them back outside.
Ha ha! Another soul mate! I also save worms from drying out or drowning. My one motto is "There but for the grace of God go I". Who knows, I could have been a worm (or ant) instead of me and I would be grateful if someone cared.
When they were going to build in the woods the kids and I would go in and pull out all the markers. (Shhh. Don't tell anyone) Didn't stop them (myself and neighbors fought against the development for many years but money prevails) but did help delay it some when we lost the fight. My son was in there taking out all the turtles he could find. The deer were displaced. The raccoons had no home left. It was very sad. But this is greed and progress. Sometimes I think I live in the wrong world.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:59 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile
His intentions are irrelevant. I'm going to kill him, and every one of his friends.
Ah man!!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:38 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Well... if it helps any, I promise not to enjoy it!

Old 04-16-2014, 06:11 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
to J5K5LY.
Found this site - even though it's in England, there are others like us out there.

Why are earthworms important?

and why ants are important
Ant Blog: Search Results

Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
to J5K5LY.
Found this site - even though it's in England, there are others like us out there.

Why are earthworms important?

and why ants are important
Ant Blog: Search Results

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature