Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:17 AM

4 posts, read 7,638 times

Advertisements

Hello, my dog was barking in the screen porch, and I went out to see, I saw this snake near my back door, it sort of stayed still for a while, then ran back into the bushes. Anybody you know its name, or if it's poisonous? Would it eat a 3 lbs chihuahua?
Attached Thumbnails
What type of Florida snake is this?-20140417_124655.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 11:33 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Hard to be sure from that photo, but I'm almost positive it's a black racer. They'll bit if they feel threatened, but they're not venomous, and the only way they could eat something as large as a Chihuahua would be if they somehow learned to use a knife and fork. It's way too big for a racer to even attempt to swallow. They're good for keeping mice and rats under control, though, so I'd leave it be if you see it again.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:26 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
It's hard to tell from the photo, but it could be a Black Racer as noted above (we have Blue Racers up here). It could also be a Black Rat Snake (which isn't poisonous either). Both eat primarily rodents, frogs, etc., and wouldn't be a threat to your dog. About the only snakes in Florida that your dog would need to watch out for would be the exotic boa constrictors and pythons we all hear about. Of course, you shouldn't just let your dog run around anyway, so you have little to worry about.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:14 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
It's hard to tell from the photo, but it could be a Black Racer as noted above (we have Blue Racers up here). It could also be a Black Rat Snake (which isn't poisonous either). Both eat primarily rodents, frogs, etc., and wouldn't be a threat to your dog. About the only snakes in Florida that your dog would need to watch out for would be the exotic boa constrictors and pythons we all hear about. Of course, you shouldn't just let your dog run around anyway, so you have little to worry about.
I agree with all of that.

With a dog that small he even has to worry about monitor lizards as well as a host of indigenous animals including hawks etc.

The Great Horned Owls in my neighborhood would snatch that dog up in a heartbeat.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:27 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
NO Don't trust any dog around a snake Esp one that tiny. 3# dog to me is RAT size!
Venomous Snakes of Florida

To this snake Your dog would be a nice snack! Adult deer found inside python in Everglades - Sun Sentinel

Old 04-17-2014, 05:31 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Indeed hard to tell, but Southern Black Racer is probably right. Totally harmless and can't harm anything over a small rodent or lizard.

MIGHT be a dark watersnake of some type or very unlikely an indigo, but I think the first poster is correct - Coluber constrictor. Don't think a black rat snake, pretty uncommon that they're that uniformly dark and the body shape is also off for that one.

There are no poisonous snakes. Some snakes are venomous. Clearly not a cottonmouth (the most common type) or a rattler (wrong body shape) and not a coral so no issues there.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:35 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Looks like a rat snake to me. Harmless.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:38 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Looks like a black racer to me. no problem w/dog unless dog goes after it.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:54 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
The color and/or body shape is wrong for any native venomous species or for any of the introduced Constrictors.

Something in the coluber family I'm 99% certain it is a black racer going by the photo.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:59 PM

4 posts, read 7,638 times
I want to Thank You all for helping to place a name to the snake. There is a creek right behind my home, and that is where she went. My Chi does not go outside, but she plays in the screened porch. *not by herself anymore* Snake could get inside from under the door. This was an eye opener . Thank you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature