Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 11:15 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,536 times

Advertisements

I hope I posted this in the right section. I live in Albuquerque, NM and it's no secret that we have a roach problem in the city. For the most part, the problem lies in the sewers and the streets during the summer when the bugs come out. You get a few here and there in your house and in your yard. They call them "water bugs" here, but I believe they're oriental cockroaches that don't cause too many problems in the home.

But in the last couple days I have found quite a few in my house, and not all of them look like the oriental ones. Can anyone identify what these ones are? The first picture I believe is an oriental, but I can't identify the the one in the last two pictures. Please help!!

Does this one look oriental to you?

Possibly American cockroach?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 11:53 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Default American cockroach?

https://www.google.com/search?q=amer...tm%3B480%3B343

Have you seen one flying?

http://newmexicomercury.com/blog/com...now_your_roach

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 04-27-2014 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: Changed my mind after rechecking the size

Old 04-27-2014, 01:04 AM

691 posts, read 641,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Have you seen one flying?
But looks like the standard issue water bug to me, one of them looked like it had some fancy ornaments but don't be fooled, they are the same no matter what they look like...

Never try killing the flying ones by spraying them with raid or anything!

No matter where they are or whatever defensive cover you take in the room while the chemical frys its nervous system, they will begin to act all crazy, they will fly for a second or two then crash into something, crawl around for a bit then fall back down and then start to fly when all the sudden they will dive bomb right at you and they never miss.....

Old 04-27-2014, 04:35 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Those are wood cockroaches. I live in Houston, and cockroaches are an extra pet species for many homeowners Even the tidiest housekeepers can have roach problems. The most important thing to remember in getting rid of an infestation is to address the source. It may not be just your own home. This is especially important if you live in an apartment. If your next door neighbors keep their garbage cans overflowing with rotting trash, the roaches will hike from there to your home and camp out at your house too. To keep roaches away, I use indoor spray along the cracks of my interior walls, boric acid, and sometimes bug bombs. Those are most effective, IMO, and believe me, I have tried a LOT of different methods of roach assassination in our hot, humid swampland! If you use those methods, be sure and keep the poisons out of the reach of the kiddoes and REAL pets

Old 04-27-2014, 05:09 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
All I have to say is:

Old 04-27-2014, 06:10 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
I forgot to mention you should also spray the exterior of your home, especially around bushes and vines. Ortho Home Defense has been most effective for me, and I use it every three months, even though it's rated for every six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature