U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 03:54 PM

734 posts, read 1,426,650 times

Advertisements

Went to the beach yesterday by LI sound in NY. There is an inlet that runs into the woods and is home to much wildlife and birds. Apparently, someone dumped an adult domestic goose there recently. He keeps a healthy distance but is not hanging out with the wild geese or any other water fowl.
I looked online to see how they do in the wild and found they either can't or don't bother to fly. Info is very sketchy. I am concerned about dogs. Many people bring their dogs to swim in those waters and if he can't fly, he is sure to be killed.
I know this is a long shot- but does anyone know of a person with property that would be willing to catch and give this goose a home?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 03:58 PM

34,794 posts, read 44,303,984 times
Around here the domestic geese eventually turn feral and mingle with the resident Canadas. They will fly. also. They also will crossbreed, you get some strange looking birds. I got one a few years ago that had the body coloration of a Canada and the wing conformation and color of a domestic.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:17 PM

12,770 posts, read 32,853,952 times
Bet that goose can take care of himself! I see them go after huge dogs cats & people!

Old 04-25-2014, 04:50 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,640,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Bet that goose can take care of himself! I see them go after huge dogs cats & people!
I agree. Most will simply swim out beyond the range that the dog is willing to swim. Moreover, adult geese, especially ganders, are nasty tempered. When Canada Geese moult, they can't fly either, but you don't see dogs bother them ... well, not the same dog more than once. Even my German Shorthaired Pointer gave them wide berth after tangling with a gander at my cousin's place just once.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:02 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,876,979 times
It is very possible nobody dropped him off. He may have been a domesticated one that joined a flock of Canada Geese. It is very common to loose geese to the wild flocks.

Like every one said. A goose is far from defenseless.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:38 PM

I appreciate everyone's replies. What concerns me is that in the canal, where he is, it can be extremely shallow at low tide and one can walk across to the other side. If the goose is unable to fly, a dog can get him. My son caught a Canada goose at the pond down the street that had been mangled and had a broken neck from a dog. Sadly, he had to be euthanized.
I don't think he will make it where he or she is. I know geese can pretty well defend themselves but people can also be cruel. I can see someone retaliating if the goose defends itself against the person's dog.
I called a local person that has a farm full of all kinds of fowl but he won't take anything from the outside for fear of disease. I understand that. I also left a message for the wildlife rehab person nearby but haven't heard back yet.
I will let you all know how this turns out.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:55 AM
bjh
Status: "I know y'all are getting sick of me. :D" (set 14 hours ago)

35,732 posts, read 24,661,667 times
Nature will take care of itself. If the world wasn't reasonably safe for geese, there wouldn't be so many of them.

And people here are right. Geese and other water fowl are far from defenseless.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:43 AM

3,727 posts, read 5,423,308 times
Yes, a gander can be mean, aggressive, and defend itself, but perhaps a bit of reality is in order. Going after a dog or person that is not looking for trouble is not the same as fending off a predator determined to kill and eat it. Adult geese have been killed by domestic cats and foxes on occasion, although usually a goose is able to drive them off. Any predator larger is too much, and the goose is in trouble. Bobcats, coyotes, and large raccoons will prey on geese.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:24 PM
bjh
Status: "I know y'all are getting sick of me. :D" (set 14 hours ago)

35,732 posts, read 24,661,667 times
^
Sure some geese get eaten. That's obvious. But many don't. It's the risk every wild animal lives with. We can't and shouldn't interfere with all of them.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
^
Sure some geese get eaten. That's obvious. But many don't. It's the risk every wild animal lives with. We can't and shouldn't interfere with all of them.
It's not a wild goose! It is domestic and was raised by people! I am not interfering with all "wild" animals! I simply want to help a goose that was someone's pet and relies on people for care and not see it die a horrible death. Is that so wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or