Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,190 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I have a pond that receives water from man-made irrigation from the ditches in neighborhood via a culvert pipe. After it rained today I found a large snapping turtle wedged into the pipe. The turtle is about the same size and looks just like the one in the video on this page:

American Snapping Turtle | All Turtles

Here's the issue: the turtle is still alive, but is very sluggish and doesn't really move. I placed it on the ground about 10 feet from the water's edge near my pond and it hasn't moved, just sits there with its head raised and blinks occasionally. I realize I probably saved its life as his/her head was under water while it was stuck in that pipe and I do not know for how long. We have also placed some veggies near its head which it has ignored.

Any suggestions on what I could do here? I'd like to keep it alive, if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 04:44 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times
If it were me, I would go online and try to find a turtle rescue in my area.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
If it were me, I would go online and try to find a turtle rescue in my area.
I did exactly that after my post and went back to check 30 minutes later and the turtle is gone. My pond has a layer of green algae and there's a clear path where it's still traceable where he / she entered the pond. So, I think all is well. Perhaps the poor thing was just out of it.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:26 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Probably ok since it moved on. You did about all you could for it by getting it out of the pipe.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:25 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Snappers aren't something I would rescue. They'll kill waterfowl and fish and are a danger if there are kids around. Tortoises, I will go out of my way to help.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:13 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBousley View Post
Ok, so I have a pond that receives water from man-made irrigation from the ditches in neighborhood via a culvert pipe. After it rained today I found a large snapping turtle wedged into the pipe. The turtle is about the same size and looks just like the one in the video on this page:

Here's the issue: the turtle is still alive, but is very sluggish and doesn't really move. I placed it on the ground about 10 feet from the water's edge near my pond and it hasn't moved, just sits there with its head raised and blinks occasionally. I realize I probably saved its life as his/her head was under water while it was stuck in that pipe and I do not know for how long. We have also placed some veggies near its head which it has ignored.

Any suggestions on what I could do here? I'd like to keep it alive, if possible.
Hmmm... When I was a kid I kept a baby alligator snapping turtle in a terrarium for a few years before I released him (or her) back onto the golf course where I found it. For as long as I had that turtle, I only saw it move a couple of times. I don't know how long they can hold their breath, but it's a danged long while. The feeder fish I put in the water always disappeared, but I only saw the act of predation a couple of times. In other words, these aren't necessarily very active creatures. If you leave it alone overnight, I'm sure you'll find that he's gone into the pond by the morning.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:19 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,609 times
Quote:
I did exactly that after my post and went back to check 30 minutes later and the turtle is gone. My pond has a layer of green algae and there's a clear path where it's still traceable where he / she entered the pond. So, I think all is well. Perhaps the poor thing was just out of it.
I should really read all the way through a thread before commenting.

Out of curiousity, what were the veggies for?

Old 05-14-2014, 03:27 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
I should really read all the way through a thread before commenting.

Out of curiousity, what were the veggies for?
OP was probably trying to be helpful and did not know that snapping turtles are carnivorous.

The critter was probably fine. Turtles after all are comfortable under water And I have never seen a snapper move quickly on land. Even the ones that roamed around my aunt and uncles home when I was a kid were not to scary as log as you didn't stick you fingers in their face.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I'm sure it's fine. Snapping turtles are awfully tough.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:28 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:

yes, and just in case beeeeee very careful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature