Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 11:47 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,635,195 times

Advertisements

Just think of that poor spider who just wanted to make friends with little Miss Muffet. The ***** screamed at him, made him feel like s**t and he became so traumatized over it he became a recluse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 04:24 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Just think of that poor spider who just wanted to make friends with little Miss Muffet. The ***** screamed at him, made him feel like s**t and he became so traumatized over it he became a recluse.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:35 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
My favorite spider is Daddy Long Legs. They supposedly have powerful venom but their mouths are too small to bite.

They are cute and when I was a child, I enjoyed them almost like pets.

daddy long-legs spider - Bing Images
One is cute, but hundreds??

spider nest found in 'hair ball' - YouTube

Old 10-15-2014, 10:48 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Child View Post
Of course, all spiders are poisonous,
Ummmm, spiders arent "poisonous". I agree with your post, big time, but "poisonous spiders"? No such thing.

Sorry, Im being overly nitpicky/technical this morning.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The Navajo kids often had those South west Tarantuas as pets. They seldom bite and the bite is NOT venomous.
It most certainly IS venomous, just not harmful to humans.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
My sister was bit by a brown recluse and suffered terribly. She passed from a heart attack, but I'll never believe it wasn't caused from that darn spider.
Brown recluse venom attacks skin cells (only in certain people, though), so no, it didnt attribute to your sister's death. Im sorry to hear about your sister, by the way.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:32 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ummmm, spiders arent "poisonous". I agree with your post, big time, but "poisonous spiders"? No such thing.

Sorry, Im being overly nitpicky/technical this morning.
All spiders have something, call it venom or poison or whatever, that will kill their prey. If they didn't, they couldn't eat. Fortunately, most spiders venom is too mild to harm humans, since most humans have a stronger system than a fly. Even so some spiders do have enough of a bite to harm a human, too.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:42 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
All spiders have something, call it venom or poison or whatever, that will kill their prey. If they didn't, they couldn't eat. Fortunately, most spiders venom is too mild to harm humans, since most humans have a stronger system than a fly. Even so some spiders do have enough of a bite to harm a human, too.
It's a matter of semantics. "Poisonous" means that if you eat it, it will harm you--poison you. Like nightshade, or rat poison or cyanide. "Venomous" is what it's called when a creature produces a toxin that it can attack you with, like snakes and spiders. The use of the word "poisonous," while widespread, is technically incorrect.

(But we all know what you/they mean.)

I came to this thread because I wanted to share what just happened on my lunch break a few minutes ago. There has been a large glossy black spider with long lovely legs hanging out on the back wall of our building here at work, pretty much all day. Every time I was out there on a smoke break, one or another of my coworkers was freaking out about her. She sure looked like a black widow, but I couldn't see her abdomen well, so I wasn't sure. Well, I finally decided to relocate her before someone did her in.

I got my spider relocation kit (a glass and a small notepad) and caught her easily. I was then able to get her into the bottom of the glass for a good look, and sure enough there was her red hourglass. I released her in some bushes in the empty lot next door. She may be venomous as all get-out, but she was a lovely creature and I didn't feel like she needed to die. She was an L. hesparus, a female Western Black Widow.

I like spiders. We have some really cute jumping spiders around our house that have iridescent green markings on their lil fangies. They are nearly as cute as that little monkey-faced-whatshisname from the other post here...

Also it's a pet peeve of mine that brown recluse are so constantly misidentified and everyone thinks they've got them, seen them, know someone bit by one... I ask people point blank how many eyes it had when they looked at it under magnification. As another poster mentioned, much of the US is outside of its territory, and besides, common house spiders are identical in every detail except the number and disposition of their eyes.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Theres quite a big difference between "poisonous" and "venomous". Like I said above, I was just being picky. For example, poison is ingested, ie a poison dart frog. All it takes is a touch and youve been poisoned. Spiders and snakes, for example, are not poisonous, as contact with them wont do you any harm. Venom has to be injected into the bloodstream via their fangs.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:02 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Child View Post
Spiders are beautiful creatures. They come in all shapes, colors, and sizes, from the foot long Goliath bird eating tarantula to the almost microscopic Patu digua species. These arachnids are also quick and efficient bug hunters. Yet so many people scream like a little girl and start stomping it to death whenever they see one. Of course, all spiders are poisonous, but few have the toxin to really cause any damage. The best thing about spiders is that they make a great, all-natural pest control that eat mites, beetle larvae, ants and other pests. I even let spiders live inside my house. They're pretty good at keeping those annoying flies and skeeters down. Please. Show spiders some love. Whenever you see one, just let it be or move it to another location.
I agree...I really like spiders. As long as the spider doesn't have venom that can do serious harm to me (i.e. black widow, brown recluse, or hobo spider) I won't kill it. I actually like having a few spiders around because they take care of other insects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature