Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:07 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,520,199 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what is the longest time that you have been out in the middle of nowhere away from anyone else? I have not been out in the wilderness or anything like that for long. But I have been watching Survivor man on Netflix and it makes me wonder how long have you been out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 12:48 AM

552 posts, read 1,056,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
I would like to know what is the longest time that you have been out in the middle of nowhere away from anyone else? I have not been out in the wilderness or anything like that for long. But I have been watching Survivor man on Netflix and it makes me wonder how long have you been out?
Define the "Middle of Nowhere" - Friends said I lived at the "End of Nowhere" at one time. It was only 18 miles from a small town so it didn't count in my book. Take that "Survivor" show with a grain of salt. They have a camera crew standing around and some go naked I had a little help adjusting to the surroundings.

Read "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer and his solo climb of the Devils Thumb in Alaska. I lived some twenty miles outside of Asuncion, as a young man, where it was real jungle an isolated. I lived there because it was very cheap an I could fish in the river and surrounded by free food. I'd go in town, to Asuncion, once a week for lessons. I laugh, I did not subscribe to the notion an artist must suffer. I lived in a tiny house in some comfort, no lights, bathroom or running water. Living like that you become super aware of your surroundings and attuned to the pulse of life. Talk about snakes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmCm...gq1Mcu0HrcXElw

I lived almost free on fish, bananas, fruit and sopa paraguaya:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27jXLSiyXys

Read: Tristes Tropiques by Claude Lévi-Strauss

I had a fantastic teacher. The president, dictator Gen. Alfredo Stroessner wouldn't allow him to leave the country. On another note, Nicaraguan tyrant Anastasio Somoza was assassinated in Asuncion with a rocket launcher . . .those boys didn't kid around.

I'm curious, why are you asking that question? Not that it's any of my business but I know some neat places to go where life is easy and a resourceful man can get by in those empty quarters and remote corners of the world. It's certainly not for everyone. I have few regrets.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:51 AM

44 posts, read 43,802 times
Sometimes, I purposely go walking in the middle of the day with a backpack on, I go to a trail nearby, and I purposely get 'lost' there. I stay there for hours, in isolation, to soak up the surroundings and get a feel for the area. I enjoy it. But that is the closest thing I've done to what you're talking about. I've never been in any life or death, survivor type situations, thankfully.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrkDethKannon View Post
Sometimes, I purposely go walking in the middle of the day with a backpack on, I go to a trail nearby, and I purposely get 'lost' there. I stay there for hours, in isolation, to soak up the surroundings and get a feel for the area. I enjoy it. But that is the closest thing I've done to what you're talking about. I've never been in any life or death, survivor type situations, thankfully.
So long as you have a compass, why not. I wouldn't jump too far off the Appalachian Trail and lose myself.
Peeps do that all the time. I've been lost a couple days but we don't say that - we say "confused a few days." There are bears, yahoos, and sketchy types living out there too. The world spins a little faster now than in my prime, it's not as safe. To be perfectly honest, twice in my life I've gotten lost in big malls. Forgot where I parked my rental car at a mall in Boston while it snowed. I went out and everything was white, cars included!

Old 07-24-2014, 11:55 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Default Longest time you have been out in the middle of nowhere?

I have have made many trips to the Middle of Nowhere, but every time I thought I was there, I was only on the Outskirts of Elsewhere. My new plan is to set out for the End of Infinity which will probably take me right through the Middle of Nowhere. I will post pictures.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I have have made many trips to the Middle of Nowhere, but every time I thought I was there, I was only on the Outskirts of Elsewhere. My new plan is to set out for the End of Infinity which will probably take me right through the Middle of Nowhere. I will post pictures.

Great retort!

Please do! It's you, me, and Columbus, hombre!

‘Christopher Columbus:

Didn’t know where he was going when he left.
Didn’t know where he was when he got there.
Didn’t know where he had been when he got back.
And did it all on borrowed capital.’
—Anon

In case you get lost: End of the Internet

Old 07-24-2014, 12:32 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,281 times
This wasn't me, but a friend led a small detachment of SOC Marines into North Africa to train the indigenous people how to fight. They were inserted via UH-1 into an area that was remote itself, then drove a pair of Toyota Pickups for a couple of days on a road that was barely a road, then met with men that they would train. He later told me "I felt like a total poser. I kept thinking that these guys were real men who kill their enemies with knives, have lots of wives, make lots of babies and measure their wealth in goats; we were just little boys playing soldier." If one of them was injured, their extraction plan was to get back in the pickups and drive for two days back to where they were inserted, then the UH-1 would take them to a plane, which would take them to another plane which would take them to Rammstein. Pretty effing remote and isolated. No safety net.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:33 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
I only have one regret ,
I didn't stay.
Had a place in the desert 4 years, all to my self, no rent, no bills, tax free, and the wife couldn't take the freedom, and insisted on moving to town.
So we bought a house and moved to town, then she left, and all of it's gone.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:42 PM

44 posts, read 43,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
So long as you have a compass, why not. I wouldn't jump too far off the Appalachian Trail and lose myself.
Peeps do that all the time. I've been lost a couple days but we don't say that - we say "confused a few days." There are bears, yahoos, and sketchy types living out there too. The world spins a little faster now than in my prime, it's not as safe. To be perfectly honest, twice in my life I've gotten lost in big malls. Forgot where I parked my rental car at a mall in Boston while it snowed. I went out and everything was white, cars included!
Yes, I am watchful of things like that. The rare time I encounter another human being during my adventures, I am mindful of them and what their intentions seem to be. Sometimes, I chat with the strangers for a short or even long time and they go on their way. But most of the time I do not encounter any human beings in the vast area I journey in, which spans along a trail, connecting to different forests, swamps, and open fields who's only keeper is nature itself.

I am 22, and I know what you mean about "The world spins a little faster now than in my prime, it's not as safe". My parents always taught me to watch out for that type of stuff, and what you said is true. You just can't go around trusting anybody anymore, you need to watch out for yourself and play things smart. Bad things happen, but I do my best to avoid them and so far I've had a pretty good record I'd say.

I don't use a compass, either. I go from my house, to the trail, get "lost" in there, in a sense, and then sometimes instinctually find my way back to some type of civilization when I don't know where I am.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrkDethKannon View Post
Yes, I am watchful of things like that. The rare time I encounter another human being during my adventures, I am mindful of them and what their intentions seem to be. Sometimes, I chat with the strangers for a short or even long time and they go on their way. But most of the time I do not encounter any human beings in the vast area I journey in, which spans along a trail, connecting to different forests, swamps, and open fields who's only keeper is nature itself.

I am 22, and I know what you mean about "The world spins a little faster now than in my prime, it's not as safe". My parents always taught me to watch out for that type of stuff, and what you said is true. You just can't go around trusting anybody anymore, you need to watch out for yourself and play things smart. Bad things happen, but I do my best to avoid them and so far I've had a pretty good record I'd say.

I don't use a compass, either. I go from my house, to the trail, get "lost" in there, in a sense, and then sometimes instinctually find my way back to some type of civilization when I don't know where I am.
Ork, this begs the question (not being snarky or smart) to what purpose do you walk to get lost?

I understand contemplative walks, Henry Thoreau's "Walking", "The Peripatetic; or, Sketches of the Heart, of Nature and Society" by John Thelwall (1793), the Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela and Mecca.

"Of Walking in Ice" by Werner Herzog
Trans. Martje Herzog & Alan Greenberg

Book Of A Lifetime: Of Walking On Ice, By Werner Herzog - Features - Books - The Independent

Check out:The Believer - Interview with Rebecca Solnit

If you elect to keep it private, I understand that too. Staying on topic: Nature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature