Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 04:52 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

I've seen this too, but I've also seen little mockingbirds harassing crows to no end. They don't just chase after them in flight, either. When the crow is on the ground they dive bomb on them so much so that when the crow is feeding on the ground they keep looking up to see where the pesky mockingbird is before they'll put their head down to pick up the food. I've seen this a few times now in different locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 06:58 PM

371 posts, read 337,821 times
Somewhat unrelated but other birds will harass, perhaps for fun as well.

I remember once a coworker and I were observing a great blue heron on a dock. Suddenly a bald eagle dropped into view and dove at the great blue heron, pulling up about 5 feet away and climbing again. The heron jumped up dumping a stream of poo all over over the water as it flew off complaining in the classy way herons do whenever they are flushed-like a dinosaur cat being strangled to death.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:50 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Okay, this seems appropriate now. Some of this is just playing. But some of it reminds us that . . . animals can be beasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vx1OVLX5Rc

Old 01-06-2015, 11:45 AM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
It is quite the chain of events. Hummingbirds will chase Mockingbirds. Mockingbirds chase Crows, Crows chase Ravens, Ravens chase Redtails and Redtails will chase a Eagle.

Some of the Crow mobs can be quite huge so I don't blame the Hawk for beating it outta there.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:04 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
I've personally seen crows mob both hawks and great horned owls but they have a particular hatred for the owls whom can pick them off at night.

Also, just about a year ago I saw 2 hawks in daylight freaking out the same way....around a great horned owl. Just generally harassing it. My guess is that they had a nest nearby.

I have had great horned owls in my neighborhood for years, typically 3-4 and so I see them getting into it with crows quite often and have also seen a pack of 7-8 blue jays do it on one occasion.

Great Horned owls have claws inches long, a grib like a linebacker and are deadly silent in flight. Their prey list includes pretty much most small mammals and birds including things like Raccoon and young alligators too. I'd not be surprised if that's where my neighbors cat disappeared to.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:47 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've personally seen crows mob both hawks and great horned owls but they have a particular hatred for the owls whom can pick them off at night.

Also, just about a year ago I saw 2 hawks in daylight freaking out the same way....around a great horned owl. Just generally harassing it. My guess is that they had a nest nearby.

I have had great horned owls in my neighborhood for years, typically 3-4 and so I see them getting into it with crows quite often and have also seen a pack of 7-8 blue jays do it on one occasion.

Great Horned owls have claws inches long, a grib like a linebacker and are deadly silent in flight. Their prey list includes pretty much most small mammals and birds including things like Raccoon and young alligators too. I'd not be surprised if that's where my neighbors cat disappeared to.
Male Great Horns are HUGE. I've seen them with a win spread betting mighty close to four foot. They put cat on the menu, regular like, if opportunity presents. Crows and ravens just hate owls and hawks, but I believe, also, they hate owls the worst. The owls pretty much have to stay landed, and take it, as well. Owls don't favor daytime flight much, and even if they did, crows and ravens can fly circles around them.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:13 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
I've watched seagulls dive-bombing a bald eagle. The eagle just sat in the tree unfazed, but ducked when the seagulls dove too close. He eventually got bored and flew away. He could have grabbed them in his talons and eaten them for a snack. Weird.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
When I was a kid I tried hunting crows for "sport". After I shot a few on the ground at our local dump they always flew away before I could get within with my .22 single shot rifle. I think they has posted lookouts for protection. Then I went back to shooting dump rats. They were an endless source of moving targets.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:50 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Male Great Horns are HUGE. I've seen them with a win spread betting mighty close to four foot. They put cat on the menu, regular like, if opportunity presents. Crows and ravens just hate owls and hawks, but I believe, also, they hate owls the worst. The owls pretty much have to stay landed, and take it, as well. Owls don't favor daytime flight much, and even if they did, crows and ravens can fly circles around them.
Yeah, I looked up the prey list for great horned owls and (dating myself) it looked like the list for the Tazmanian devil from the old bugs bunny cartoon.

Aardvarks, Antelopes.......etc.

Not sure how many people remember the cartoon, classic bugs bunny vs Taz.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:06 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
The answer is always Darwinism

Apparently small birds that attack predators at first site had a better survival rate than ones with a more passive attitude

It's really common and quite amusing. I've even seen vultures be attacked and they rarely threaten living birds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature