Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 05:22 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
When I was a kid I tried hunting crows for "sport". After I shot a few on the ground at our local dump they always flew away before I could get within with my .22 single shot rifle. I think they has posted lookouts for protection. Then I went back to shooting dump rats. They were an endless source of moving targets.
Their vision is incredible and they learn fast. In an area that they can be hunted it's hard to get close to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 06:34 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, I looked up the prey list for great horned owls and (dating myself) it looked like the list for the Tazmanian devil from the old bugs bunny cartoon.

Aardvarks, Antelopes.......etc.

Not sure how many people remember the cartoon, classic bugs bunny vs Taz.
Bugs n Tax. Lol....that's a good analogy. I guess we can liken these little birds harassing big ones to Woody Woodpecker.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:24 PM

125 posts, read 260,116 times
Crows dive bombing a hawk or eagle is one of my favorite things to see. Whenever you see crows having a fit it pays to look and find out why. You get to see a lot of cool things that way, falcons or hawks in a tree, one time I went out to see what they were on about and it was a raccoon trying to spend a peaceful day way up in a fir tree. Crows were not going to let him get his rest!

Old 01-23-2015, 07:30 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Follow-up, blue jays were harassing a Great Horned owl (again) behind my house just this weekend.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:27 PM

128 posts, read 372,851 times
I just saw a crow attacking a hawk (pretty sure it's a hawk). I remember reading that this is fairly common but havent seen it in the wild until today.

I was casually walking when I saw a single, mid-sized crow above me, swooping and making a 180. Next thing I see, it goes straight for a hawk, from behind, that was casually flying by. It did it about 3 times before letting the hawk go. The hawk didnt seem bothered at all. Ive always wanted to see this in the wild.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:00 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itisthumper View Post
I just saw a crow attacking a hawk (pretty sure it's a hawk). I remember reading that this is fairly common but havent seen it in the wild until today.

I was casually walking when I saw a single, mid-sized crow above me, swooping and making a 180. Next thing I see, it goes straight for a hawk, from behind, that was casually flying by. It did it about 3 times before letting the hawk go. The hawk didnt seem bothered at all. Ive always wanted to see this in the wild.
Yeah crows hate owls primarily but they do go after hawks too. They just don't want them around because those big predators (especially owls hitting them at night when they are vulnerable) eat them and their young.

Cool spot!

Old 10-02-2015, 03:46 PM

3,507 posts, read 764,833 times
you no why you never see a dead crow on the hiway ? .. there`s always one up on a power line hollering ! CAWR .. CAWR .. CAWR !!!

Old 10-03-2015, 06:31 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah crows hate owls primarily but they do go after hawks too. They just don't want them around because those big predators (especially owls hitting them at night when they are vulnerable) eat them and their young.

Cool spot!
Where is your source. When is the last time that you've started a thread?

Old 10-04-2015, 04:43 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
When I was a kid I tried hunting crows for "sport". After I shot a few on the ground at our local dump they always flew away before I could get within with my .22 single shot rifle. I think they has posted lookouts for protection. Then I went back to shooting dump rats. They were an endless source of moving targets.
I killed one crow on our lawn trying to protect our apple trees. That was many years ago. The crows did not see it coming; I shot from a camouflaged area with a single shot .22 Ranger. It drove the rest of the crows nuts; it was like they were upset that they did not perceive the danger. For almost a decade later they treated me differently than they did my wife. They ignored her presence; but immediately took off if I walked outside.

I also enjoyed going to the dump to shoot rats. Before 'new' laws, back in either the 60's or 70's, many dumps were open dumps and rats were too numerous to count. In the early morning or late afternoon you could not even see the garbage; just rats. The closest neighbors, to these dumps, would appeal to hunters/shooters to help cut down the numbers - their houses were infested with rats.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:12 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
What would make crows attack a hawk?
WHY DON'T HAWKS FIGHT BACK?

Mobbing behavior is not only limited to crows but also red-wing blackbirds, mockingbirds, sparrows,
grackles and other song birds. This is done during breeding season and/or to protect their nests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature