Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 04:17 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
...many folks who had traditionally hated wolves had finally started to see some value in them.
I can't say I agree with that. I have only noticed that the hunting seasons have increased animosity, not the other way around. I have also noticed it is not really the wolves they are mad at. It is anyone who supports them. Businesses, photographers, advocacy groups, locals, non-locals, government personnel. It is a power struggle, nothing more than that.

But I do agree that this decision will just cause more problems for the wolves themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Once those who live in heavily settled rural areas close to northeastern cities deal with the realities of wolf kills, policies may change rapidly. Nature isn't a Disney film.
I absolutely loathe the Disney argument, even if it does apply to some people. If I could obliterate Disney to put a stop to it, I would. Pass me the WMDs.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:14 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You do now people buy licenses from the state to kill bear......right???

The state does this to manage wild life.

Dog management is another subject........and our dogs are not strays.
Sure, I know that. But what I'm saying is that if someone uses dogs to chase and kill wild animals (even if it is legal), I don't have any sympathy for them if wild animals chase and kill their dogs. Sorry for the dogs, of course, but the people? No sympathy.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:56 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Sure, I know that. But what I'm saying is that if someone uses dogs to chase and kill wild animals (even if it is legal), I don't have any sympathy for them if wild animals chase and kill their dogs. Sorry for the dogs, of course, but the people? No sympathy.
Using dogs to hunt has been part of life since BEFORE guns.

And to a houndsman the sound of their dogs barking on task is music.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:48 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
They're not endangered in Alaska. The European wolves have been extirpated from several countries. How many wolves are in the UK? For example.
I seriously doubt there are any wolves inthe UK at this point, outside of zoos or similar. One thing Europe hasn't yet experienced is a push to reintroduce wolves.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:01 AM

534 posts, read 1,170,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
I can't say I agree with that. I have only noticed that the hunting seasons have increased animosity, not the other way around. I have also noticed it is not really the wolves they are mad at. It is anyone who supports them. Businesses, photographers, advocacy groups, locals, non-locals, government personnel. It is a power struggle, nothing more than that.

But I do agree that this decision will just cause more problems for the wolves themselves.
The anti-wolf crowd has been mad all along, way before a wolf hunt was even on the horizon. They were mad when wolves were competing with them for deer and moose. They were mad when wolf numbers doubled what science said was sustainable, yet still hadn't been de-listed.

If anything, the hunting seasons and the thought of being able to actually own a wolf pelt for the first time in 30 years took the talk of "shoot-shovel-shutup" down several notches. At least it did with the people I deal with.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
The anti-wolf crowd has been mad all along, way before a wolf hunt was even on the horizon. They were mad when wolves were competing with them for deer and moose. They were mad when wolf numbers doubled what science said was sustainable, yet still hadn't been de-listed.

If anything, the hunting seasons and the thought of being able to actually own a wolf pelt for the first time in 30 years took the talk of "shoot-shovel-shutup" down several notches. At least it did with the people I deal with.
Well, you and I apparently aren't dealing with the same people.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:29 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Using dogs to hunt has been part of life since BEFORE guns.

And to a houndsman the sound of their dogs barking on task is music.
Sure, I understand. I live in Kentucky now, so believe me, I hear that "music" playing somewhere nearby almost every time I go hiking. Hunting dogs are a big part of the culture down here.

I want to make it clear that I'm not passing judgment here; I'm not taking a position on whether it's right or wrong to use dogs to hunt. I'm just saying that if people use domesticated dogs to hunt wild animals, they don't have much basis to complain about wild animals killing the occasional dog. I just think of that as the universe's way of evening things out a little.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:50 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Sure, I understand. I live in Kentucky now, so believe me, I hear that "music" playing somewhere nearby almost every time I go hiking. Hunting dogs are a big part of the culture down here.

I want to make it clear that I'm not passing judgment here; I'm not taking a position on whether it's right or wrong to use dogs to hunt. I'm just saying that if people use domesticated dogs to hunt wild animals, they don't have much basis to complain about wild animals killing the occasional dog. I just think of that as the universe's way of evening things out a little.
Fair enough.

Have a great new year!!!!

Old 01-02-2015, 12:38 PM

534 posts, read 1,170,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
Well, you and I apparently aren't dealing with the same people.
Apparently not.

I deal mostly with hunters/outdoorsmen, the vast majority of whom welcomed the wolf hunts. If they were angry, it was only because of the billboards and propagandist tactics used by the advocacy groups to halt the seasons, not the seasons, themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature