Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 10:22 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

Oregon officials are warning early morning joggers and park visitors in the state capital Salem to watch out for an owl who has an affinity for hats after at least four people were attacked in a month. "It was kind of amazing how it just swooped down and grabbed my hat like that," Hilliard told Reuters of how he became the acquisitive avian's latest victim early one morning this week. "It just pulled it right off my head like it was nothing!"

The whole story is here:

Joggers warned to beware of angry owl in Oregon | Reuters

There's nothing to suggest the owls are actually wearing them around town.

They think it has to do with nesting time. That would be pretty funny if other birds developed an affinity for hats but when you think about it, they could make nice warm nests...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 05:28 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
I would take the threat of injury pretty serious.

I knew I had heard of owls attacking humans, not intentionally targeting people, but that matters little. A brief search brought up many instances.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:11 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Hats off to the owls.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:49 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Hats off to the owls.
Omg, lol...

Old 02-07-2015, 10:57 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
This is hilarious. . Goes to show that Ma Nature wears many hats.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:45 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
I walked by a Barred Owl in the woods behind my house. As I approached, I looked in his eyes and he was looking in mine. I turned my head to see him as I passed and he turned his head to follow me. I walked by him twice and he did the same both times. At the closest point I was about ten ft. from him. Very eerie. He very definitely did not fear me.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:50 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,387,317 times
^
He was lookin' at you to see if you were lookin' at him to see if he was lookin' at you.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:32 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I walked by a Barred Owl in the woods behind my house. As I approached, I looked in his eyes and he was looking in mine. I turned my head to see him as I passed and he turned his head to follow me. I walked by him twice and he did the same both times. At the closest point I was about ten ft. from him. Very eerie. He very definitely did not fear me.
Man those are creepy-looking.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I once ducked under a branch walking through a woods in Canada, and when I raised my head back up, there was a saw-whet owl sitting exactly eye level, staring straight at me, literally within arms reach of me. My first reaction was that somebody had parked a tiny teddy bear on a branch in the tree, with big bright button eyes. I'lll never forget how those eyes zinged a shot of adrenalin through my belly.

Arctic owls have no fear of humans, because most have never seen so much as a sign of human presence, and they have not learned to fear humans as enemies. But owls of the temperate zone (like barred or great-horned or screech) will usually retire at the approach of a human.

They can sneak up on your, because their wing feathers have little tufs on the edges, so their wingflap is noiseless. But they consider it great fun to dive bomb the heads of humans, I once felt the wings of a flammulated owl on my hair, but never heard a thing and had no other sense of is presence, except that it had been calling above me..

I think if I ever felt a compelling need to keep a pet, an owl would be my first choice.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:30 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I once ducked under a branch walking through a woods in Canada, and when I raised my head back up, there was a saw-whet owl sitting exactly eye level, staring straight at me, literally within arms reach of me. My first reaction was that somebody had parked a tiny teddy bear on a branch in the tree, with big bright button eyes. I'lll never forget how those eyes zinged a shot of adrenalin through my belly.

Arctic owls have no fear of humans, because most have never seen so much as a sign of human presence, and they have not learned to fear humans as enemies. But owls of the temperate zone (like barred or great-horned or screech) will usually retire at the approach of a human.

They can sneak up on your, because their wing feathers have little tufs on the edges, so their wingflap is noiseless. But they consider it great fun to dive bomb the heads of humans, I once felt the wings of a flammulated owl on my hair, but never heard a thing and had no other sense of is presence, except that it had been calling above me..

I think if I ever felt a compelling need to keep a pet, an owl would be my first choice.
Owls are just plain cool. In my tenure with DoD, we had occasion to visit many vast, and totally abandoned, buildings. Tunnels, towers, you name it. I was walking into a tunnel, in an old bomb production facility, the complexity of I can't describe, one fine day. Totally relaxed. Inspecting these old places was good duty.

As I entered the tunnel, a huge, male Great Horned came off a concrete beam, two feet above my head. His wings , fault, filled the tunnel, wall to wall. Feathers and owl poop, flying everywhere, as I hit the deck (had to check my shorts after). Taught me not to be frosty about things.

I bad owl poop down my back and all over my hat, which I was glad I had on, and the white stains caused be some ribbing from my coworkers and boss later. Lmao, wouldn't trade that encounter for anything. It was just COOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature