Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:34 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

We have some feral cats that we fed every night at our shop, and one by one they kept disappearing. One day I walked out my shop door and saw some hawks circling above me. They made great target practice, and the cats stopped disappearing !

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 07:44 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We have some feral cats that we fed every night at our shop, and one by one they kept disappearing. One day I walked out my shop door and saw some hawks circling above me. They made great target practice, and the cats stopped disappearing !

Don

You shot the Hawks... Not cool and probably illegal.

I think it is pretty sad when a cute critter gets taken for a meal but it is all part of nature.

Back to the hawk stories.
My sister used to have a shi tzu and she let it out back to run around in the fenced in yard but she stopped that the day she looked out and saw a rather large hawk sitting there eyeing her dog.
After that she would supervise the dog better when it went out.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:49 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I'm always nervous with my little dog outside when there's a hawk in the area!

Old 02-26-2015, 08:13 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:

Don
What you did was not only stupid, it was a federal offense. With only a little bit of investigation, I'm sure that someone could turn you in based on your admission.

Anyhow, cats do not belong outdoors--especially feral cats. Since outdoor cats kill millions of birds each year, turn-about is fair play!

Old 02-26-2015, 08:28 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
We had a hawk pick a sparrow off the feeder over a week ago. My husband was lucky enough to see it in action. Since then there hasn't been a bird in the yard. I always wonder how the word gets around.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:00 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:

Don
Its been said already, but that wasn't very bright. One raptor is worth a hundred feral cats, to me. When I was on my ranch, I was forced, quite a few times, to thin out feral cats. They were decimating my quail and songbirds, breeding, uncontrollably and can , and do, carry diseases, like distemper. I would never begrudge a hawk, owl or even a yote, a meal of feral cat. That is providing a service, to my mind.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:18 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
Quote:

Don
Like others have said, completely uncool. Not only are the feral cats invasive, a pest to humans, and havoc-wreakers on an ecosystem, but I'm wondering if what you actually saw were hawks-can you tell the difference between a hawk and a vulture? A lot of people cannot.

Not only that, but I don't know of any hawks could pick up a fully-grown cat. Maybe a great horned owl, but a hawk?

I think that it's more likely that something else like a coyote or a neighbor picked it off.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:18 AM

672 posts, read 789,578 times
Quote:

Don
Effing moron dumba$$

Old 02-26-2015, 10:00 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
What your uncle likely saw was either a Cooper's Hawk or a Sharp-shinned Hawk (they look very similar; slight size difference). As Accipiters, they make back yard "bird feeders" dual purpose.
Jack, have you ever seen a buteo take a bird? I'm just wondering because I believe that I saw a red-tailed hawk take a bird (positive ID on the red-tail). There was a winter flock in a tree and the red-tail flew very quickly into the tree and out and I am very sure that it took a bird. I know that they tend toward taking rodents and reptiles. Thoughts?

Old 02-26-2015, 10:39 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Jack, have you ever seen a buteo take a bird? I'm just wondering because I believe that I saw a red-tailed hawk take a bird (positive ID on the red-tail). There was a winter flock in a tree and the red-tail flew very quickly into the tree and out and I am very sure that it took a bird. I know that they tend toward taking rodents and reptiles. Thoughts?
Your query wasn't really directed at me, but I'll chime in, if you don't mind. I've seen Buteos snag various birds , a lot. The zipping into the tree thing you describe is a favored tactic. I've seen Red Tails and Swainsons, both, snag pigeons out of trees and off power/phone lines, as well. The Buteos do tend to prefer non aerial targets, in seems. They are more of an air to ground attack bird., whereas such as Accipiters and Falcons will do the aerial turn and burn, more often than attacking a grounded target.

Its curious to me, that Shrikes are not listed as a raptor. They most certainly are effective hunters, and we even have a missile named after them. A radar seeking air to ground type, known for its terrain following ability and pinpoint accuracy. Just like its namesake. Lol. Thanks for letting me chime in, BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature