Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:57 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,775,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
Effing moron dumba$$

I think the hawks were attacking me, so it was self defense ! Did you know hawks taste just like chicken ?

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 11:08 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,620,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Your query wasn't really directed at me, but I'll chime in, if you don't mind. I've seen Buteos snag various birds , a lot. The zipping into the tree thing you describe is a favored tactic. I've seen Red Tails and Swainsons, both, snag pigeons out of trees and off power/phone lines, as well. The Buteos do tend to prefer non aerial targets, in seems. They are more of an air to ground attack bird., whereas such as Accipiters and Falcons will do the aerial turn and burn, more often than attacking a grounded target.

Its curious to me, that Shrikes are not listed as a raptor. They most certainly are effective hunters, and we even have a missile named after them. A radar seeking air to ground type, known for its terrain following ability and pinpoint accuracy. Just like its namesake. Lol. Thanks for letting me chime in, BTW.
I don't mind you chiming in at all-I appreciate your input and welcome anyone to answer my questions. Good info too, by the way. Thanks!

Old 02-26-2015, 11:10 AM

672 posts, read 786,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I think the hawks were attacking me, so it was self defense ! Did you know hawks taste just like chicken ?

Don
Oh, so I see, you're a troll, in addition to being a walking, talking sphincter. It's idiots like you who give responsible gun owners and hunters a bad name.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:34 AM

8,563 posts, read 12,339,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Jack, have you ever seen a buteo take a bird? I'm just wondering because I believe that I saw a red-tailed hawk take a bird (positive ID on the red-tail). There was a winter flock in a tree and the red-tail flew very quickly into the tree and out and I am very sure that it took a bird. I know that they tend toward taking rodents and reptiles. Thoughts?
I've never personally seen a buteo take a bird, but it seems very plausible that they could prey on birds which were perched on a branch or sitting on the ground (although small rodents as prey are the norm around here, all due to their hunting technique). It would be more difficult for them to take a bird in flight, because they aren't really built for a chase, but even that would be possible I would think. That would more likely be possible when smaller birds are mobbing a Red-tailed or other buteo in flight. The hawk could easily "roll" and snatch the bird in flight. I've heard that to happen--not sure if they made a meal of the victim. I've seen plenty of buteos roll in response to a pesky bird above, but I've never seen an actual grab. I've watched Cooper's Hawks go after chipmunks, so diets definitely can be varied! "Opportunistic" might be a better word.

Wait a minute! I just remembered: I have seen a buteo take a bird--and it was in flight! A few years ago, I saw a Red-tailed Hawk which was soaring high above a corn field. It dove down--in typical fashion as if going for a rodent on the ground--but about 10' above the ground level it snatched a Ring-necked Pheasant which was gliding in for a landing. The hawk rode the pheasant down to the ground--that was a huge meal for the hawk! Seeing that was truly amazing. I never would have guessed that a Red-tailed Hawk could take prey as large as a Ring-necked Pheasant--especially taking it out of the air! Still, the hunting technique was the same as normal. It wasn't "chasing" a bird in flight, it just dove down and struck it from above, knocking it out of flight. Thanks for jarring my memory!

Last edited by jackmichigan; 02-26-2015 at 12:17 PM..

Old 02-26-2015, 11:38 AM

7,487 posts, read 10,459,924 times
If you find "hungry hawks" in your area and wish to save the songbirds, do what we do: set up a separate table with cat food on it. Yep, cat food. It's very high in protein (more so than dog food) and that is what raptors apparently want. We feed it to our poultry as well; I was very surprised to find that poultry are not granarians. They prefer a more high-protein feed. So - corn out, cat food in!

Old 02-26-2015, 11:43 AM

8,563 posts, read 12,339,419 times
Quote:
The Buteos do tend to prefer non aerial targets, in seems. They are more of an air to ground attack bird., whereas such as Accipiters and Falcons will do the aerial turn and burn, more often than attacking a grounded target.
I very much agree with your assessment...nice way to describe it, too.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:47 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I've never personally seen a buteo take a bird, but it seems very plausible that they could prey on birds which were perched on a branch or sitting on the ground (although small rodents as prey are the norm around here, all due to their hunting technique). It would be more difficult for them to take a bird in flight, because they aren't really built for a chase, but even that would be possible I would think. That would more likely be possible when smaller birds are mobbing a Red-tailed or other buteo in flight. The hawk could easily "roll" and snatch the bird in flight. I've heard that to happen--not sure if they made a meal of the victim. I've seen plenty of buteos roll in response to a pesky bird above, but I've never seen an actual grab. I've watched Cooper's Hawks go after chipmunks, so diets definitely can be varied! "Opportunistic" might be a better word.

Wait a minute! I just remembered: I have seen a buteo take a bird--and it was in flight! A few years ago, I saw a Red-tailed Hawk which was soaring high above a corn field. It dove down--in typical fashion as if going for a rodent on the ground--but about 10' above the ground level it snatched a Ring-necked Pheasant which was gliding in for a landing. The hawk rode the pheasant down to the ground and out of sight--that must have been a huge meal for the hawk! Seeing that was truly amazing. I never would have guessed that a Red-tailed Hawk could take prey as large as a Ring-necked Pheasant--especially taking it out of the air! Still, the hunting technique was the same as normal. It wasn't "chasing" a bird in flight, it just dove down and struck it from above, knocking it out of flight. Thanks for jarring my memory!
A pheasant is well within a Red Tails abilities. Our Red Tails , here are good sized birds. Bigger than a Prairie Falcon, and the latter take out pheasants and larger ducks, even.regularly. Picking the kill up and flying away with it is problematic, but a little surgery and they can pack off a large portion of it, if they choose to.

I've seen Red Tails kill , as you describe. They, unlike Falcons, do ride the prey to the ground, as you observed. Falcons hit it, hard, knock it down , and then land on it after its crashed.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:33 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,282,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
If you find "hungry hawks" in your area and wish to save the songbirds, do what we do: set up a separate table with cat food on it. Yep, cat food. It's very high in protein (more so than dog food) and that is what raptors apparently want. We feed it to our poultry as well; I was very surprised to find that poultry are not granarians. They prefer a more high-protein feed. So - corn out, cat food in!
Definitely going to try this! Like the idea; hope it works.

Currently we've attracted a single turkey hen to our feeder, and the little ones love having her around as she deters the hawks. It's been interesting watching the feeder this year.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:55 PM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
Quote:
Oh yea! Left to their own devices, chickens will eat each other. Last summer, we had a tomatoes worm invasion. Pulling them off plants by the, literal, bucket load. Fill bucket, go to chicken coop, empty bucket, feeding frenzy. Pieces of big green horn worms flying everywhere. Very satisfying carnage.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:21 AM
bjh

59,952 posts, read 30,275,344 times
Quote:
Great idea. Yep, chickens eat plenty of protein rich insects, so not surprised at all.

Quote:
Oh yea! Left to their own devices, chickens will eat each other. Last summer, we had a tomatoes worm invasion. Pulling them off plants by the, literal, bucket load. Fill bucket, go to chicken coop, empty bucket, feeding frenzy. Pieces of big green horn worms flying everywhere. Very satisfying carnage.
Too bad you ddidn't get that on video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Anyhow, cats do not belong outdoors--especially feral cats. Since outdoor cats kill millions of birds each year, turn-about is fair play!
Cats do not belong outdoors? You do realize cats evolved and lived outdoors for millions of years, right? Feral cats are by their nature, outdoor animals, as are the vast majority of animals. And what's this beef about cats killing birds? Many animals kill birds, including as we've seen in this thread - other birds! As for cats, they kill far fewer birds than humans. We are by far the most destructive species. Btw there's a word for cats killing birds. That word is Nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature