Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 07:14 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

Poor snakes. They just want to be left alone. They are not looking for trouble.

They need to eat and drink. Warm up in sun. Soak in water. And shed. That's the live of a snake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 08:52 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Being a lover of snakes, I just cant see why people have so much hatred towards these amazing animals. Is it ignorance? I find snakes to be one of the most forgiving animals in the entire animal kingdom. By that I mean they usually flee, and give ample warning that theyre upset, well before they bite. And even then their bites are mild, and even venomous snakes hesitate to inject venom (aka a "dry bite").

If you despise snakes, can I ask why it is that you do? I often find that those who educate themselves about snakes usually end up developing a soft spot for snakes. I would encourage you to do the same.
I do not despise them. My daughter is scared stiff of them . I am not. I personally though find the idea of keeping them as a pet very distasteful mostly due to the live feeding most require. I have had friends who owned them and I have actually held them. They are just not most people's idea of a cute cuddly pet. I guess also there is fear of the poisonous ones. I do not think it is hate I think it is fear. They are the only land creature that has no legs. That probably makes them strange to people.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:57 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Poor snakes. They just want to be left alone. They are not looking for trouble.

They need to eat and drink. Warm up in sun. Soak in water. And shed. That's the live of a snake.
and terrify passers by or anyone who stands on them by accident..no thank you.. would love them off the face of the earth..

Old 03-18-2015, 11:54 AM

305 posts, read 724,243 times
Because snakes are potentially dangerous animals that are either venomous or can constrict people and eat them and their pets.

When you see a snake you don't know, it'd make sense to keep your distance because you don't know if it's venomous or not.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:03 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
Because snakes are potentially dangerous animals that are either venomous or can constrict people and eat them and their pets.

When you see a snake you don't know, it'd make sense to keep your distance because you don't know if it's venomous or not.

Depending upon where you live snakes are usually relatively harmless. doesn't mean you should go up and pick it up though.

After years of asking my wife finally allowed my son to get a snake (baby Boa). After a couple of years he joined the army and it became mine. Occasionally it does get mean probably because it does not get handled much anymore and it lives in a cage. On two occasions it got out of the cage and roamed free for a day or two. both times it returned I think because of the heat lamp. I was amazed at my wife for being pretty calm while it was free.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:08 PM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post

A snake big enough to constrict and eat a full-grown human? Wonder if such exists.

Pets, yes. Maybe even small children. But not in North America, unless we're talking the kind of snake it's inadvisable to keep even if you know what you're doing---that made its inevitable escape.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:09 PM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I do not despise them. My daughter is scared stiff of them . I am not. I personally though find the idea of keeping them as a pet very distasteful mostly due to the live feeding most require. I have had friends who owned them and I have actually held them. They are just not most people's idea of a cute cuddly pet. I guess also there is fear of the poisonous ones. I do not think it is hate I think it is fear. They are the only land creature that has no legs. That probably makes them strange to people.
I think there's at least one legless lizard that's often mistaken for a snake. Until it blinks.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:52 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Non-venomous snakes are okay and I leave them alone, but I will whack the other ones (Copperheads in my area) with a shovel if they're in my yard. One $1200 vet bill for a bite is quite enough for me.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:53 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Very disgusting creatures. I absolutely hate snakes and thankfully there aren't any in my area. Nothing likeable about them imho ...just Gross.
You see, thats a horrible mindset to have towards them. Your hatred/fear of them stems from something. What might that be, exactly?

Old 03-18-2015, 01:56 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Thanks, I've never kept a snake because my mother would never come to my house and visit lol.

However, I've read EXTENSIVELY including being a lurker on the kingsnake venomous forum for ages so I've heard a lot.

I finally got to see a lachesis muta muta at the reptile center in the northern chicago suburbs a couple years ago. That was a real treat. (aka Bushmaster)

He also had a king cobra a mamba or two and lots and lots more.
Was that at the rescue center in Lake Forest, IL? Ive been there, talked to Rob Carmichael (heads the place) who took me into the "hot" room. That was a treat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature