Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 03:00 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times

Advertisements

How does goldfish survive Colorado's winters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 04:21 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
Yeah stupid people are ruining entire ecosystems by introducing plants & animals that just have no business in these places.

The pythons are bad enough here in South Florida that you can just shoot them on sight without any repercussions, in fact cops and wildlife officials will high five you lol.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:40 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Last year they held a snake hunt in the Everglades with prize money. Surprisingly they didn't capture that many snakes. According to the reports there are hundreds of thousands pythons in there yet the hunters failed to find them. Also surprising to me is that the alligators don't eat the eggs.
Hmmm...yes, that is interesting. I'm sure the snakes and lizards eat the gator eggs. I would theorize that gators don't get the snake eggs because they are actually pretty small, and the snakes lay eggs away from the water, where gators hang out. But, I'm no herpetologist. So, if the estimates on the population of the snakes is even close, they must hide with pride. I see stories out there, all the time, with AC having to get these snakes and lizards out of people pools and yards.

So, if there are as many as is supposed to be in the Glades, they don't shake out easy.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:47 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
like any other fish, they adapt....how do other fish survive....my guess would be, they burrow in mud, or go to the deepest part of the lake, below the ice...you've heard of ice fishing, haven't you?

Well, many fish are caught by ice fishing....but I am willing to guess, gold fish adapt....

I know a lot of people who have ponds in their yards say their fish adapt?

and interesting thread...

Old 05-08-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Yeah stupid people are ruining entire ecosystems by introducing plants & animals that just have no business in these places.

The pythons are bad enough here in South Florida that you can just shoot them on sight without any repercussions, in fact cops and wildlife officials will high five you lol.
I saw a special on TV, as they were concerned with the pythons migrating up north, so they took the snakes and put them in an enclosed northern area, where it snows...and some of them survived?

Old 05-08-2015, 09:26 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
They get in their RV and drive down to Zapata!

Old 05-08-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
They get in their RV and drive down to Zapata!
OMG, I didn't know they could drive?

Old 05-11-2015, 01:11 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
They can be a problem....

Old 05-11-2015, 01:34 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Heard that the pelicans arrived and are feasting on the goldfish in Colorado.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:06 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Last year they held a snake hunt in the Everglades with prize money. Surprisingly they didn't capture that many snakes. According to the reports there are hundreds of thousands pythons in there yet the hunters failed to find them. Also surprising to me is that the alligators don't eat the eggs.
Alligators are ambush predators. They have no interest in eggs.

It would be nice if they allowed open unlicensed hunting. That a few dozen people failed to make a serious dent over a period of a few weeks when most had never had any chance to hunt the snakes previously is no surprise. Neither is the fact that the media threw its hands in the air and used this as evidence that we must surrender to the pythons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature