Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 02:14 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,271,034 times

Advertisements

I'm a master:

Snipe Hunter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 06:26 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,207,402 times
My car was swooped by a black cockatoo

Old 05-07-2015, 06:38 PM

318 posts, read 513,631 times
.... About 14 months ago, out in the boonies of far northeastern Oregon: a Fisher.

.... http://www.nhptv.org/wild/images/fisher.jpg

.... Also known as a Fisher Cat, they are members of the weasel family, not feline.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:16 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,974,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I'm a master:

Snipe Hunter
Went on a lot of snipe hunts. always turned out the same, spent the whole night standing there holding a burlap bag.
I finally figured out snipe were allergic to me, when I WAS ABOUT 40.

I sure did want to catch a snipe.

My grandson says he will take me on a snipe hunt for my birthday. Wonder if my luck has changed and I'll get one this time.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:32 PM

3,486 posts, read 725,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

My grandson says he will take me on a snipe hunt for my birthday. Wonder if my luck has changed and I'll get one this time.
sure go for it

Old 05-08-2015, 05:16 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,969,850 times
About seven years ago my wife and I were driving on a dirt road into our camp. I spotted, what I thought was a coyote, about two hundred yards away. I told my wife to hang on so that we could get a better look. We ended up chasing mountain lion down the dirt road and we got within twenty yards of it before it sprang off the road. We could clearly see the long, curved, tail and the cat's gait.

We live in NEPA and according to the experts; this lion does not exist. When we got home I immediately called our Game Commission to report our sighting. They basically treated me as if I had been drinking. So I asked them if I could shoot the animal if we ever saw it again. They immediately replied that it was endangered and I would suffer steep fines or jail time. I asked them how it could be endangered if it did not exist? Anyway; I promised that I would not shoot the animal and, as it turned out, we never did see it again. I was happy when one turned up dead, hit by a motorist, in Connecticut a couple years ago - it kind of enforced our sighting.

One other rare sight, I saw while fishing, was 40 pound + snapping turtles mating. They looked like a sea monster. From a distance it looked like a large moving mass on the top of the water. I rowed over to it to take a better look and found two turtles mating. They were rolling over and over while locked together. I could easily think that anybody, from a distance, would think they saw a sea monster's head.

I also had a muskrat attack me while duck hunting - bad move for the muskrat. I never heard of rabies in muskrats. But, then, I never heard of rabies in beavers until just the last few years.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:28 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,854,459 times
When visiting the South Rim of the Grand Canyon about 10 years ago, came across a NPS employee with his camera aimed on an outcrop 20 ft below. There we saw a bout 15 California Condors which even by today's population numbers would have represented about 5% of all the world's California Condors in the wild.

(my photos)

I also once saw the burning eyes of a hodag thru a tequila induced haze at the edge of our campfire light in the woods of the Michigan UP which would have had to have traveled 50 or 60 miles from the woods near Rhinelander to get to our campsite.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:37 PM

218 posts, read 239,252 times
Fantastic photos. thank you, Ghengis, for posting these.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:10 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,362,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
When visiting the South Rim of the Grand Canyon about 10 years ago, came across a NPS employee with his camera aimed on an outcrop 20 ft below. There we saw a bout 15 California Condors which even by today's population numbers would have represented about 5% of all the world's California Condors in the wild.

(my photos)

Awesome photos. That's quite a sighting you had. Thanks for posting.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:11 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,362,118 times
Alligator snapping turtle crossing a road. It was so large I thought it was a dog until I got a better look. It made it across the road and into the pond on the other side of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature