Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 10:20 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchville View Post
Fat Freddy:

How? Please tell me.
If you can't figure out how to get by with over a quarter of a million dollars in the bank, maybe you do need a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 09:49 PM

34 posts, read 36,733 times
I can get by, for a couple years or even a few. But it will run out if i dont use it to either get an education and get hired as a employee, start my own business, or buy 300,000 lottery tickets and win big.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:48 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Get a professional Forestry degree.

If you want to stay in the Northeast there are plenty of Forester positions. Lots of good Forestry programs in that part of the country. You can even get a forestry degree from Yale (I would not recommend it, but they offer one).

A professional Forestry degree is pretty much a liberal arts degree in the sciences. I loved it. It also lets you do LOTS of things in the environmental area without the limits of those new degrees.

In my career, I did a recreational carrying capacity study for a large desert lake, a Wild and Scenice Rivers plan, Wilderness plans and management, timber sales, timber inventories and growth studies, and even got hired by the Federal government as an economist for a few years in resource planning.

Don't get sidetracked into a technician degree. It will place all sorts of limits on your career.

Here is a list of primary issues a professional Forester deals with on a daily basis:

Society of American Foresters - Working Groups

So if you get bored after a few years, lots of options to explore and not have to do a new degree!!

Here is the career stuff:

Society of American Foresters - Forestry Students: Forestry Careers

http://www.safnet.org/fs/careerbro.pdf

Old 06-28-2015, 11:13 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
OP. We'd be guessing not knowing you; you abilities; skills or even interest other than hiking for two hours. Certainly you have some idea and know you better than us. Besides that running a business successfully takes business skills called managing as its the leading reason businesses fail especially small businesses. Good luck

Old 06-28-2015, 01:39 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
Physical therapist? I know a lot of pts that are active in the outdoors. They tend to be very good at dealing with sports related injuries. The training isnt as long as for a doctor...plus they are convenient to have on hiking trips - for dealing with sprains etc....small town pts can do very well...but you have to like the work of course.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:53 AM

534 posts, read 1,170,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Get a professional Forestry degree.

If you want to stay in the Northeast there are plenty of Forester positions. Lots of good Forestry programs in that part of the country. You can even get a forestry degree from Yale (I would not recommend it, but they offer one).

A professional Forestry degree is pretty much a liberal arts degree in the sciences. I loved it. It also lets you do LOTS of things in the environmental area without the limits of those new degrees.

In my career, I did a recreational carrying capacity study for a large desert lake, a Wild and Scenice Rivers plan, Wilderness plans and management, timber sales, timber inventories and growth studies, and even got hired by the Federal government as an economist for a few years in resource planning.

Don't get sidetracked into a technician degree. It will place all sorts of limits on your career.

Here is a list of primary issues a professional Forester deals with on a daily basis:

Society of American Foresters - Working Groups

So if you get bored after a few years, lots of options to explore and not have to do a new degree!!

Here is the career stuff:

Society of American Foresters - Forestry Students: Forestry Careers

http://www.safnet.org/fs/careerbro.pdf
This. I interact with foresters quite a bit - either employed by private companies or by different levels of government. Seems like interesting work and LOTS of time outdoors, in very rural areas. I actually looked into forestry as a second career - once I retire - but simply don't have the background (maybe experience-wise, but not educationally).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature