Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:10 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

Silvernt15,

I had Google Earth'ed your community's location and saw that your very rural. As the summer's days get hotter; so does the temperament of many bees + their hives are now fully populated.

This year we had more yellow jackets and bald faced hornets than we have had in many years. I am on my third can of wasp and hornet spray. With the first rays of sunlight in the morning or the last rays of sunlight towards dusk you might be able to 'see' the location of the nest. The bees are generally making a 'bee' line either away from the nest or towards the nest; depending on early or late. The angle of the sunlight makes it easier to spot them combined with their straight line with the nest. After you locate the nest you can either avoid them or remove them safely.

Good luck with your bees and keep us informed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 12:46 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmeow View Post
Japanese Sparrow Bee; Japanese Hornet, known as the second most lethal insect in Japan, before man. Killing within the average of 40 people a year. These monsters are around the size of your thumb and are and probably as thick as it too . They're very hostile and I've been reading about these insects ! This specific species of hornets are very interesting, as I watch a time lapsed video of them creating a nest, to attacking others and even reading how Japanese try to make them into a meal.
As I continued researching, I found a article of one man claiming he has "tamed" one. But in my perspective, all he did was just disable it. In this procedure, removing the stinger and venom sack with a pair of tweezers, then he tied a string around the hornet so it wouldn't fly away. But it still bit him every now and then. These things will try to kill you even without its main attack mechanism, therefore it is not tamed. The stings can trigger anaphylactic shock in victims who are allergic to the venom. The adults wingspan can be more than 4.5 centimetres long, with a wingspan greater than 6 centimetres.
With a whopping 1/4 inch long stinger , these things are a flying nightmare.
But they're also very interesting!!
They're terrifying.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:27 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,688,983 times
If I lived in Japan I would have to walk around with a flame thrower.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:48 AM

My sisters asked me to remove one large bald faced hornet's nest from the side of our mother's home. They sent me the picture of the nest, and looking at the bee opening, it almost looks like giant hornets! I figure that I will spray it several times to get rid of them. I am not going to hang around because of the size of this monster:

Old 09-16-2015, 02:02 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
My sisters asked me to remove one large bald faced hornet's nest from the side of our mother's home. They sent me the picture of the nest, and looking at the bee opening, it almost looks like giant hornets! I figure that I will spray it several times to get rid of them. I am not going to hang around because of the size of this monster:
smash it with a tennis racket and run!

Old 09-16-2015, 02:17 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
GODZILLA and RODAN VS. MOTHRA and the GIANT HORNET!!!

Opening this weekend at fine drive-in theaters everywhere.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
smash it with a tennis racket and run!
That would have been many, many, years ago when I was much lighter and faster on my feet! I do remember the dare, double-dare days of my childhood. Back then we would spend months putting each other up to soaping the windows of the farmer that used rock salt. But that was then and this is now.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:

Too bad it is on the house next to the window, because I'd say a blast from a 12 gauge shotgun would do the job nicely.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Too bad it is on the house next to the window, because I'd say a blast from a 12 gauge shotgun would do the job nicely.
Well it's my mother's house and she is planning on getting the roof repaired! I did give it one first dose. I will go back in a few days and give it a second dose. I just wanted to kill off the majority so I did not have millions after my butt! They are bald-faced hornets and they can and do hold a grudge.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Well it's my mother's house and she is planning on getting the roof repaired! I did give it one first dose. I will go back in a few days and give it a second dose. I just wanted to kill off the majority so I did not have millions after my butt! They are bald-faced hornets and they can and do hold a grudge.

Yeah they are nasty little bastards! Thankfully I haven't seen too many this year. In fact, it seems the yellow jacket count has been down a bit as compared to years past. I have however; been seeing a lot more of the European hornets, which is something I never see a lot of around here. I wonder why there is such an increase in their numbers around here?

Anyway... good luck. Make sure you're doing it at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature