Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 05:05 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adner View Post
I hate snakes!!!!! However they will keep the mice away so we don't kill non poisonous ones. Block access into the house for sure. Yuck! If it becomes a problem you can always get large sticky traps. Sorry PETA friends. I love all animals but NOT snakes.
Sticky traps are incredibly inhumane. Please don't recommend them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 05:13 PM

135 posts, read 258,281 times
Sometimes snakes will go into garages with cool, concrete floors to get out of the heat. I know, they're cold-blooded and love heat, but not if it's 100 degrees outside, or if there is bad weather, or if their den is flooded. We had snakes all over once when there was flooding.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:47 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,200,641 times
The snake could still be in the house after one week. Depends on where it got in. If a door, or window was left open and it got in and now can't get out because the opening is now closed, it could still be there. If it came in an opening, elsewhere, that remains open, it is probably gone now. It will eventually reappear if trapped inside. If it is trapped inside, it will reappear.

We have had them in the house and have found them when they knock things down. They will make some noise. If you then find it, be careful because if it is hungry, it will be feisty and may bite. If you get bitten by a black snack, you may need a tetanus shot.

There is a product called Snake Away that works pretty good. I have used it around the house and in the barn. I used to find several snake skins a year in the barn and have not found one there for years.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
As far as we know it never got in the house. I think our 2 cats and 2 dogs would have alerted us by now. But it might still be in the garage. I'm very careful about the storage shelves and have told the girls to be on the lookout as well.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:19 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
King snakes and others will actually keep the rattlesnakes and copperheads away believe it or not.

Living Alongside Wildlife: This Is Why You Should Never Kill A Blacksnake!

I love to have these snakes around my place.
King snakes eat poisonous snakes.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:34 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
King snakes eat poisonous snakes.

Venomous

And yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature