Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 02:40 PM

40,920 posts, read 48,822,759 times

Advertisements

That was one big bird. Any Emu's loose where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 02:46 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,069,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
That was one big bird. Any Emu's loose where you live?
Now see! I like people who think outside the box!

Old 08-22-2015, 02:46 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,961,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
All good points fisheye!
Love the the photo of the Rocky raccoon's! No raccoon's here as yet chowing down on the bird feeder, but I do have a major over abundance of squirrels. I wanna say grrr, but that just doesn't cover my frustration.
The squirrels will damage your birdfeeders and bird houses - more so than raccoons and opossums.

About ten years ago my wife noticed that bird seed was missing every night from our birdfeeder. She thought that it was early rising squirrels. I suspected raccoons. So I placed a proximity detector close to the bird feeder pole. When we heard it we looked out the window with flashlight and camera. It was exciting at first to see all of the nocturnal creatures: Fox, opossums, raccoons, deer, and finally bear. But; you have to know when it is time to call it quits.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:13 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,600,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
All good points fisheye!
Love the the photo of the Rocky raccoon's! No raccoon's here as yet chowing down on the bird feeder, but I do have a major over abundance of squirrels. I wanna say grrr, but that just doesn't cover my frustration.
Why all the hating on squirrels? I've never gone out to my car and found it covered in squirrel crap!

Old 08-22-2015, 05:51 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,069,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Why all the hating on squirrels? I've never gone out to my car and found it covered in squirrel crap!
Never once had a sparrow try to eat through my house either. A little soap and water, and you're done.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:59 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,465,570 times
I emailed the DNR about the feeder damage in case they think that bear traveled this way. There has , except for the sighting last month, to my knowledge,never, in living memory, been another bear sighting in this part of NW indiana. I've lived around here 70 years.

Indiana DNR Reports First Wild Black Bear Since 1800s, Plans to Remove It | Field & Stream

Old 08-22-2015, 07:41 PM

25,324 posts, read 16,958,731 times
It was me.

I'm sorry. It's those sunflower seeds. I can't help it.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:12 AM

4,051 posts, read 5,610,170 times
Well, we have no bears in our area (thank goodness!). I do have racoons around...one was able to repeatedly bend a shepherd's hook pole down enough that the other could reach up from the ground to get the birdseed. Also, racoons do damage my feeders enough that over time they eventually do destroy them. I've got my shepherd's hook pole tied to a fence pole now so no bending, but the coons can still climb up to the feeder regardless.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:26 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,961,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Well, we have no bears in our area (thank goodness!). I do have racoons around...one was able to repeatedly bend a shepherd's hook pole down enough that the other could reach up from the ground to get the birdseed. Also, racoons do damage my feeders enough that over time they eventually do destroy them. I've got my shepherd's hook pole tied to a fence pole now so no bending, but the coons can still climb up to the feeder regardless.
Most of our experience has been with raccoons that eat methodically and delicately - they take their time. Of course you can have more than one raccoon at a time trying to feed. That might account damage to your hook? Some raccoons are also noticeably heavier than other raccoons - perhaps the Sheppard's hook manufacturer's should put little weight limit signs on the bottom of the poles? Our airlines are trying to do that! Maybe the whole family is just too heavy:

By the way; to the OP's missing bird feeder: Even if a bear or raccoon did take the feeder; it would not have gone very far. Most wildlife will only take things (like a bird feeder or food container) that they want to a safe place - it might be the first tree, shrubs, or away from your house. Even with bears and garbage bags; they are usually found just a few hundred yards away or much closer. My feeling is that they move these because they are afraid of humans or they do not want to share with other wildlife.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:23 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,465,570 times
The feeder was along the lot line of the vacant, thickly wooded, lot next door. In the late fall when the leaves are gone maybe we'll find the feeder somewhere in those woods. There's thorns, hanging branches, half fallen trees, ticks, and thick brush making the woods not the most fun place to walk around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature