Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 05:13 PM

7,072 posts, read 4,820,754 times

Advertisements

I guess that's what it's called when there's a flock of crows. There must have been over twenty of them this morning, sitting on an electrical line that goes over a busy intersection in town.

Not sure I've seen that many crows together before, I wonder if I should worry about that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 06:31 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
There's nothing to cause worry.

Let me congratulatee you on your erudition. Since this is the Nature forum it's the discussion of collective nouns related to venery is not inappropriate.

Here's an interesting essay on the subject.

https://books.google.com/books?id=lw...page&q&f=false

Old 10-03-2015, 06:38 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
Are you sure they weren't grackles? Every fall in Houston the grackles would congregate on the power lines in the early evening. Son and I called it "Happy Hour". In some spots, like a local grocery store, it would get downright eerie, reminiscent of "The Birds".

Old 10-06-2015, 03:55 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I guess that's what it's called when there's a flock of crows. There must have been over twenty of them this morning, sitting on an electrical line that goes over a busy intersection in town.

Not sure I've seen that many crows together before, I wonder if I should worry about that!
Hi pugster,
It depends on whether they are a murderous murder of crows.

My late wife used to buy cheap dry cat food to feed crows to keep them around here because she believed in their value for cleaning-up the deceased forest critters. Whenever she left the house with their ration of food, they raised a raucous welcome cry. There was a permanent cadre of about 20 crows and occasionally throughout the year when they held conventions, there must have been 50. Oh the noise they made! Even today when they're no longer being fed, they're patrolling the property regularly and whenever the hawk stops by, 10 crows instantly materialize.

One time a watch that fell off while I was on the tractor mysteriously appeared on the driveway turn around spot. The band had broken while I was out in the field mowing, Anyway, there's no doubt in my mind that a crow returned it.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:43 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
A "murder" of crows can be enormous, with hundreds of birds. There are a few spots around North America that are major roosting locations for crows.

Some of the woods near Ottawa form a large roosting area for crows. I've seen them overhead, making their way home as the sun sets... they go on and on... it gets creepier as the minutes tick by!

Here's a huge murder of crows in Minnesota:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIg4y6bsEA4

Old 10-07-2015, 06:21 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Are you sure they weren't grackles? Every fall in Houston the grackles would congregate on the power lines in the early evening. Son and I called it "Happy Hour". In some spots, like a local grocery store, it would get downright eerie, reminiscent of "The Birds".
In the 70s, 77 million starlings and grackles set up winter roosts in Ky. and Tenn. Five million chose the pine woods at Ft. Campbell military reservation, whereupon the army destroyed many of them creating an environmental flap.

I did a web search and could find only PDF files and sites that required payment for the relevant articles on same.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:55 PM

723 posts, read 868,659 times
I can hear Homer Simpson saying something about a 'murder of crows'... I thought that was only him being stupid, if I'm not just imagining him saying it.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:13 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
In the 70s, 77 million starlings and grackles set up winter roosts in Ky. and Tenn. Five million chose the pine woods at Ft. Campbell military reservation, whereupon the army destroyed many of them creating an environmental flap.

I did a web search and could find only PDF files and sites that required payment for the relevant articles on same.
I can vouch for your story . I lived in the area (West Tennessee) as a young teen in 1972/73/74, and remember the bird "infestation". They literally blackened the skies when they flew--people were having issues with the paint on their cars being compromised due to the droppings. It was a huge deal.

Years later, as a nurse, I saw an increased incidence of histoplasmosis (a fungal disorder related to, among a few other things, bird droppings.) in patients who had lived in that area during that time period.

Now that's a Murder of Blackbirds.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:39 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
...There was a permanent cadre of about 20 crows and occasionally throughout the year when they held conventions, there must have been 50. Oh the noise they made!...
That's called a Cawcus.

It's how they decide who will be The Crow King.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:59 AM

20 posts, read 55,403 times
In the winter months, crows gather in large flocks at night for protection from predators. They don't do this in the spring and summer because at those times they are at their nests. A few of these nighttime winter roosts are in cities because there are fewer predators there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature