U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 01:59 AM

4,424 posts, read 2,707,086 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on rewilding https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rewild...vation_biology) it's a form of animal conservation that is becoming quite popular. Basically it's reestablishing the ecology back to the way it was 500 years ago. The most famous rewilding project was the reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone and the American west.

However there is another form of rewilding that is a bit more controversial and that is Pleistocene rewilding https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleistocene_rewilding This form of rewilding differs in that they want to turn back the clock to the Ice age about 13,000-10,000 years ago. They would introduce either remnant populations that still managed to survive all these years or introduce closely related animals as a proxy. And even though with all it's controversies there is an experiment going on by Dr. Sergey Zimov at Pleistocene Park https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleistocene_Park (official website: Pleistocene Park: Restoration of the Mammoth Steppe Ecosystem ) Zimov is not just trying to bring back the Mammoth steppe that existed during the ice age but he also thinks that it will prevent global warming.

So what are your thoughts? Have you ever heard of rewilding or Pleistocene Park? Do you think Zimov's experiment will succeed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 04:44 AM

3,404 posts, read 2,335,169 times
Great thought. Any ideas?

Old 10-07-2015, 05:28 AM

2,217 posts, read 1,396,615 times
The scale of this is so small it really would not make a noticeable difference. The only reasonable way to make this work, would be to cull the human race. By what percentage I couldn't say, but it would have to be major. I have to agree with the one article where they believe it was not climate change as much as it was humans that caused this.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:42 AM

879 posts, read 1,289,215 times
I'm in agreement with LIcenter on this. It's noble and admirable that we are attempting to reverse the damage that we have done, or at least preserve some bit of what we have not yet destroyed, but really the biggest threat to ourselves and to the animals that we are looking to restore is the density of the human population.

I know that when overpopulation is mentioned, and especially the idea that human growth should be voluntarily slowed, that people often assume that some level of misanthropy is at the root of it. However, I think that continuing to grow (or even maintaining) the human population the way it is now is only going to lead us down the road to ruin in regards to sustaining our population without serious ecological tragedy. In simpler terms, the more humans, the more human suffering there will be when our species comes up against a true threat to our existence.

Adding this to the idea of rewilding, again it is an honorable idea and it is certainly interesting, however going forward with it without taking a hard and critical look at human population density, available resources, and dependence on technology, is not the best idea IMO. We have to address the figurative elephant in the room before bringing in a real one.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:01 AM

Well for Pleistocene park there is only one near by town, Chersky, with a little less than 3,000 people, and the nearest big city is 1,100 miles away, Yakutsk 270,000 population. The Arctic in general is very low density.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:55 PM

2,717 posts, read 2,756,951 times
I co-exist with much wildlife. With wolves all my life (despite what those who made an incredible amount of money off the wolf lies would have others believe). I have free-ranging bison along with pasturing domestic cattle. Some feral horses eat and drink on my outfit, and I have saddle horses.

The trouble I have with the re-wilding movement is: They think I need to be gone from my home in order to have their notion of utopia.

Not going to happen.

My knee-jerk response is: Re-wild your own neighborhood first! Move into a high rise apartment, because they obviously have no use for grazing land that the wildlife will need.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:25 AM

16,130 posts, read 19,080,792 times
What about rewilding humans?

Some say it is already underway.

Anarcho-primitivism.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:52 AM

branDcalf, can I ask where you live. And I agree with you that sometimes they want to introduce these animals in way to high of human density, resulting in conflict with humans. At least give them right to protect themselves and their live stock. The moment they cross their property they should have the right to shoot, you need to instill the fear of humans into these animals, otherwise they will keep going to places where food is easiest to get. And what do you think about pliestocene rewilding, for instance the introduction of lions so that they would hunt mustangs, and bison since the current process of culling is deplorable, and wolves can't hunt horses and bison effectively. And if not in the lower 48, what about in more remote areas such as Canada/Alaska/Siberia?

Old 10-10-2015, 12:11 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,770,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I co-exist with much wildlife. With wolves all my life (despite what those who made an incredible amount of money off the wolf lies would have others believe). I have free-ranging bison along with pasturing domestic cattle. Some feral horses eat and drink on my outfit, and I have saddle horses.

The trouble I have with the re-wilding movement is: They think I need to be gone from my home in order to have their notion of utopia.

Not going to happen.

My knee-jerk response is: Re-wild your own neighborhood first! Move into a high rise apartment, because they obviously have no use for grazing land that the wildlife will need.
I agree.

The problem is that you can't turn back the clock without other serious consequences. Re-introducing native species, especially top predators, that once roamed an area but were killed off by hunting/habit change is not necessarily "re-wilding"; it's restoring balance in ecosystems by preventing the overpopulation of prey species. Wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone and other areas for that purpose, not in some attempt to recreate a "wild" environment, but because the wild environment was already there.

Certainly NYS could use some wolves to deal with our serious whitetail deer overpopulation issues, but the reality is that the deer aren't overpopulated in New York's wilderness areas; they're overpopulated in cities, suburbs, and agricultural areas where wolves would probably not long survive or, if they did, would cause serious problems for the people in the areas they chose to live. So, it's not likely there will be any wolf-restoration project in NYS. Instead, local officials and state game management officials try to figure out how to deal with our Bambi population explosion.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:47 PM

2,717 posts, read 2,756,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
branDcalf, can I ask where you live. And I agree with you that sometimes they want to introduce these animals in way to high of human density, resulting in conflict with humans. At least give them right to protect themselves and their live stock. The moment they cross their property they should have the right to shoot, you need to instill the fear of humans into these animals, otherwise they will keep going to places where food is easiest to get. And what do you think about pliestocene rewilding, for instance the introduction of lions so that they would hunt mustangs, and bison since the current process of culling is deplorable, and wolves can't hunt horses and bison effectively. And if not in the lower 48, what about in more remote areas such as Canada/Alaska/Siberia?
I will let my business acquaintances in northern Canada and low population dense portions of Alaska that you think it is okay to change their areas for some hobby of the rewilders.

What makes you think the current process of culling bison and mustangs is deplorable? Granted I think it is sad that the BLM (feral) horses are warehoused and that taxpayers have to pay for this misguided abuse (there are things worse than death).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or