Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2015, 09:15 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

New Species Evolves Right Before Our Eyes: Successful Mix of Wolves, Coyotes and Dogs | Alternet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 09:44 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
I'll take them if they can kill those d**n Armadillos that are migrating up from Texas into Tennessee, without getting themselves sick or becoming a "passive" carrier.

Armadillos not only carry EPM, which is a neurological hazard to horses, they also carry leprosy which is a hazard to humans.

DH says he has seen more than one laying dead, on the main highway, on his way to work.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:12 PM

352 posts, read 285,768 times
You will know when they are in your neighborhood because they tend to wipe out the wildlife and they don't stop there they kill the local pets and its not just cats they also kill dogs. People let their dogs out thinking they are safe in a fenced in yard only to find out they were wrong. The big dogs also get killed when there is a pack, it's pretty bad if you have them. What they usually do is kill everything and they leave, but they come back once the wildlife is built back up.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:33 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
We don't have wolves here, but we do have coydogs. The hybrids are prone to "thrill killing". Much like pure feral dogs. These hybrids are larger, stronger, tend to pack up in numbers (over four animals) and they love to pick on sheep, but kill calves and foals too. They are quite intelligent as well, garnering that from the coyote side, and aren't much scared of people, from the dog side.

I've seen some scary mixes as well. There are a large number of free roaming dogs, most of them come from the reservation that borders us. All sorts of large , mongrel mixes, that when mixed with coyote are quite formidable. I've seen a couple that are almost cryptid in appearance. I had a coydog when I was in my 20s. He was a wicked critter. Not a pet, so much as a security animal. He would only answer to me for commands, be was blazing fast, regularly running down jack rabbits, and be was a gopher getter to. He would wait on a hole, and snatch them when they stuck their heads up.

Adding wolf to such already formidable mixes is just a scary concept.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:21 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Interesting. I just saw this story somewhere else this morning. Maybe we'll have to loosen up the definition of a species.

Having killed all of our dumb coyotes in the past 100 years, our rural South Plains coyotes are a severe enough pest. We certainly don't need a super-coyote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature