Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 04:02 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,309,991 times

Advertisements

In Southern Arizona we have roving packs of javelina. Technically, they are members of the peccary family and not a type of wild boar, but they look like pigs. Their tusks can be very dangerous and they will attack to protect their young. The most common problem they cause where I live is going through people's garbage or trashing their yards. I know runners who have confronted them unexpectedly, but they all say they get some advance warning from their terrible smell. Almost any wild animal can be dangerous under the right conditions but I try to remember that humans have invaded their spaces more often than vice versa.

Are Javelina Dangerous? | SouthernArizonaGuide.com | Best of Southern Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 04:03 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
I was startled by a collared peccary, or javelina, in a woodsy park on the edge of Playa del Carmen, MX. It was foraging and gave no indication that it knew I was there. So I took a photo and we parted without incidence.

That sent me to Google and the information that javelinas are group animals and usually leave the group when ready to die. That may have been the reason for no territorial behavior. Or perhaps it was somewhat of a local "pet" and accustomed to humans.

At any rate it appeared like the kind of creature it would be best to leave alone.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:08 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,148 times
They're as far north as northern New York State.

Pigs Gone Wild - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Eurasian Boar - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Old 01-02-2016, 05:00 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,151 times
they are extremely dangerous

Old 01-02-2016, 05:38 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times
But what are they going to attack you with, hooves?

Predators have sharp claws and teeth to use. Bovines have horns, deer have antlers. Rams have battering rams and will charge you.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:41 PM

887 posts, read 1,214,270 times
Had one come straight for me once.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:49 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But what are they going to attack you with, hooves?

Predators have sharp claws and teeth to use. Bovines have horns, deer have antlers. Rams have battering rams and will charge you.
They have razor-sharp tusks and are noted for aggressive temperaments. Read the articles I posted about wild boars in New York.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:57 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,860,391 times
I have not had much experience with wild hogs but as a kid I had extensive experience with Domestic Hogs. Up until the 1960s almost all farmers supplemented their income with Hogs, Chickens, Milk etc. It was very common for farmers or their family members to be killed by either cattle or Hogs. I raised Hogs as a kid and I had several close encounters with both cattle and Hogs. Many P.E.T.A people talk about he cruelty of using farrowing crates for pregnant sows. I would like to see a few dozen of those well intentioned idiots get into a small pen with a 700 pound Sow in the middle of the birthing process. The power of a large Sow or Boar is unreal.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:00 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,885,736 times
Man, as kids/teens while on the family farm in Nebraska we raised hogs among other things and you quickly learned never to get between a sow and her litter, or an errant piglet- and we used to have to grab them for tagging, administering medicine or other reasons- you had to be quick to avoid the fury of the mom when she heard it start squealing and she swung around after you -and even they had pretty gnarly looking teeth. There was more than a few times that we barely flew over the pen fence just in time to escape serious injury.

As Gunluvver2 states above there a reasons for how pens are prepared for birthing and other functions. I'm sure both he and I can remember the many times we had to risk our lives to try to rescue an hours old piglet from becoming crushed by its massive mom while she is still in distress from the birthing process.

These were domesticated and typically pretty calm animals- I wouldn't ever get near an even larger, wilder, meaner and better equipped for damage versions.

Last edited by T. Damon; 01-02-2016 at 07:12 PM..

Old 01-02-2016, 08:40 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,250,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
"The pigs showed up faithfully, chowing down on the free food. That is, until the last piece of the corral-the gate that springs shut to trap the pigs-was added; then the adult pigs wouldn't venture inside. It's as if they knew it was a trap." Sounds like some of my feral cats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature