Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 01:27 AM

83 posts, read 68,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I have a better and less bloody answer. Why don't humans stop eating monkey meat? That's how these diseases became transmitted in the first place.
They are possibly starving? Tradition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 05:48 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilydopip View Post
They are possibly starving? Tradition?
then don't have so many kids.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:15 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
The OP's "modest proposal" also reminds me of the day they hanged the elephant.

Regretfully, it really happened, in Erwin, Tennessee. The circus elephant had caused a death by stepping on the victim, so in accordance with the views of the time, she paid the ultimate price. The "execution" was conducted by using a construction crane, and people came from miles around to see the spectacle.

Shameful and incredibly cruel, by today's ideals.

(I first wrote "standards", rather than "ideals", but had second thoughts...).

Old 02-02-2016, 08:28 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
So let's add several more species to the extinction list so that our global population can continue to exceed what this planet can handle. Might as well put our species on the list too. At the rate we are going we shall be soon extinct and there won't be anyone to write that down.

Did you ever stop and think that disease and viruses are mother natures way of keeping balance? Disease and viruses are neccissary to keep over-population from happening. We humans are too smart for our own good and too selfish to allow nature to do what it does best.
I figure we will see some crazy virus that will sweep the globe. Mother Nature has been trying to keep things in check and we keep creating vaccines and cures. Eventually nature will throw something at us that we cannot fight. If it doesn't, then we will continue to eat up resources to the point of 'starvation'.
Either way, we are toast.
I'm sure that most people don't think of that. Just as (usually larger) predators keep certain species in check (e.g. mice, insects, rabbits, etc.), tiny viruses also have a way of keeping human and other species' populations in check. With humans, however, we have gained the knowledge of how to control the effectiveness of these pathogens. Unfortunately, we haven't exhibited the intelligence to counter-act the tremendous surge in population which has resulted. Human overpopulation is at the root cause of nearly all of our environmental and social woes. We are literally destroying the planet.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:40 AM

28 posts, read 23,494 times
Why don't we turn off the sun? It has caused way too much skin cancer and wakes me up early on Saturdays.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:10 AM

1,042 posts, read 873,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I say we kill all the mosquitoes. No one would miss them.
when the honey bees die off [and it is happening] mosquitos will be our best bet for pollinating crops.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:23 PM

383 posts, read 397,431 times
Although the Monkee's were really not a very good band I don't think that warrants killing off the survivors.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:24 PM

383 posts, read 397,431 times
Although the Monkee's were really not a very good band, I don't think that warrants killing off the survivors.

Also, if we get rid of all the mosquitos can we eliminate the ticks at the same time?

Old 02-02-2016, 01:48 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I have a better and less bloody answer. Why don't humans stop eating monkey meat? That's how these diseases became transmitted in the first place.
Well,thats easy for you to say Mr First World.

You do not live in Africa,where most cannot just go to the store and buy cold cuts.

They do not have the money,and many are poor.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:50 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
then don't have so many kids.
Once again,easy for us First Worlders to say.

Many women do not have access to birth control in India and Africa.

Also,many belong to religions that forbade it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature