Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:23 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times

Advertisements

Judging by the noises from my next door neighbours' apartment, I'm pretty sure the guy's a masochist. I'll ask him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 09:44 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinmcx View Post
think you're getting bees and wasp confused...
Why do you say that? They were large, banded black and yellow, with slender waists and they were making a paper nest inside my propane tank.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:29 PM

366 posts, read 433,015 times
I'm not a biologist or into entomology so I'm probably wrong...but I see absolutely no benefit from wasps. I consider them like cockroaches And mosquitos. A totally worthless species of insect that evolved only to annoy the hell out of humans.

I wish some scientist out there could find a way to completely eradicate these insects.

For example, bees are very beneficial to human survival....but they only sting if you mess with them or they feel threatened. Wasps....will sting or bite...just because they can.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:31 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Never had a bad experience with a wasp. Fire ants and mosquitoes, I don't like, but wasps, I avoid, but don't dislike.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:06 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,811 times
I like them. I get my big can of wasp spray out and kill them at night when they are sleeping.stupid wasps.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:48 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
We have those mud daubers down in GA all over our lake house. We can walk past nests with no issues.

Although those look fierce, they really are solitary creatures. However, imagine if they were the size of a medium
size mammal.
Mud Dauber Wasps | Iowa Insect Information Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekab23 View Post
I'm not a biologist or into entomology so I'm probably wrong...but I see absolutely no benefit from wasps. I consider them like cockroaches And mosquitos. A totally worthless species of insect that evolved only to annoy the hell out of humans.
I wish some scientist out there could find a way to completely eradicate these insects.
For example, bees are very beneficial to human survival....but they only sting if you mess with them or they feel threatened. Wasps....will sting or bite...just because they can.
They are important to our ecosystem (link). They do aggressively defend their nests and there
have been a few times (2-3) where we had to remove the nest since it was close to our entryway
(yellowjackets) - they would harass our children.

Why Do We Need Wasps?

Old 05-10-2016, 06:50 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekab23 View Post

Wasps provide crop and garden pest control (by predation and parasitism), and also act as pollinators. Without them we could be overrun with insects that would decimate our crops. I'll take wasps over huge amounts of chemical pesticides (which would probably be much less effective anyway) any day of the week.

Why Do We Need Wasps?

Last edited by NJmmadude; 05-10-2016 at 07:03 AM..

Old 05-10-2016, 06:56 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
Not sure why some people just reflexively kill them when they are not harming anyone. I try to avoid having contact with wasps, but I do realize they have their place in the ecosystem and so I leave them be as much as possible.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:23 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
Everybody that I know hates them, and I'm terrified of them. Is there anybody out there who genuinely likes them? Paper wasps and mud wasps don't seem that bad as they are apparently not aggressive.
I don't like wasps. They attack suddenly and they hurt!

But...
I have a Pentax Papilio close-focus binocular. Its close focus gives me an extreme closeup on just about anything. I use it to identify dragonflies, which I attract in my water garden.

Last week I sprayed a wasp. Bug spray. She was on the back porch building a nest.
For some reason I decided to watch her with my binoculars.

I felt sorry for her! She struggled to dry her wings, cleaned her antennae and mandibles, and shook off her feet. In the end she managed to fly off and die somewhere else, so at least I didn't have to watch that.

In the future I will use wasp spray and I won't watch.

To all:
If you have never viewed insects with a close focus instrument, you are in for a surprise. You may come away with a new appreciation for beauty that will surprise you. Best of all, if you allow children to use your binocular, you will find a new form of entertainment.............( i.e. "GYAAAAH! Flies have hair on their butt?")

Old 05-10-2016, 11:59 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
I like wasps. I'm just not a fan of yellowjackets. They are bullies. They bully you out of your picnic and BBQ food. They are like nature's mafia. When I have a BBQ I have to put aside a plate for Big Paulie and his crew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature