Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 01:16 AM

60 posts, read 48,925 times

Advertisements

I live in a residential, suburban area in a house, with my family. We have humming bird and bird feeders out in our backyard, and the birds stop by everyday to eat the bird seed, and humming bird food we leave out, along with the water and bird bath too. We all enjoy seeing the birds flying around back there. But other animals have been coming in too, from skunks, to raccoons, to neighbors cats haha.

I don't mind the wild animals like the raccoons and skunks, but my family doesn't like them. They don't like how sometimes I forget to toss out the water, and dry food, because if left out, the wild animals come by and then they keep coming each and every night.

I like having the wild animals stop by, because its rare to see such animals ya know? How can I keep the animals coming back to hang out, when my parents don't want us leaving food and water out for them to get haha.

Which types of birds and wild animals have you seen in your front and back yards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 05:08 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
I used to leave cat food out all the time for my ferals. But then we had a rabid skunk in our yard and I re-thought that strategy. Now I leave it out in the daytime and take it away at dusk. I also take away the water, because water really attracts wildlife! My ferals know if they don't eat the food when it is out, they will have to wait until morning. I did formerly enjoy seeing possums eating the cat food, though. I think possums are cute!

I have to take my bird peanut feeder in every night. Otherwise, Rocky Raccoon pulls it down and breaks the feeder. Of course, s/he eats all the peanuts, too! I am not too fond of raccoons because they can also carry rabies in my part of the country (northeast).

Old 07-14-2016, 09:24 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,552 times
Agree with taking the feeders in at night. I never forget because I just downloaded an app on my phone that sends me a reminder every night. Raccoons can damage so much in your garden and they are active at night so it's a win-win for me.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:43 PM

Haha, the raccoons, skunks, etc. Never have gotten to our bird feeders, same with the squirrels, our feeders are so high up though haha.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:31 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
We have squirrel proof feeders (Yankee Tipper Bird Feeder (YCPT-360) | Droll Yankees), so they aren't a problem. But every night the deer would come and snack at the feeders. Now, I just put an inch or so of mixed seed in every morning. Between the feeders, and the suet cakes, the birds are happy, and they are the only wildlife I'm feeding.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We have squirrel proof feeders (Yankee Tipper Bird Feeder (YCPT-360) | Droll Yankees), so they aren't a problem. But every night the deer would come and snack at the feeders. Now, I just put an inch or so of mixed seed in every morning. Between the feeders, and the suet cakes, the birds are happy, and they are the only wildlife I'm feeding.
Oh man thats awesome, wish we got wild deer around here. XD

Old 07-17-2016, 10:53 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
Wow, where do you live that there aren't deer? They are EVERYwhere!

But it's the raccoons that are trying to take over the universe now. I've stopped putting food in the bird feeder just to try to discourage the raccoons from coming in my yard at night. I figure the birds have other sources of food in the summer. I'll wait until freeze before I start putting food in the feeder again.

In fact, I can't figure out what the raccoons are even coming into my fenced yard for at all. The apple and mulberry trees are in the unfenced big yard, the corn bins are across the road, the feral cats get shut into the garage with their food at dusk, so why must the raccoons come in the fence? All I can think the raccoons might be eating in the fenced yard is dog poop. Do they do that?

Old 07-18-2016, 12:53 AM

California, we live near a park but the deer don't come down to the neighborhood areas, or the park they stay in the hills of the park, the deeper parts etc.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:51 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronypride View Post
Oh man thats awesome, wish we got wild deer around here. XD
You can have some of mine!!! I live in a small city in the southwestern corner of NYS, and we're overrun with bambis. They roam in herds in most parts of the city except for right in the downtown area. They jump the four-foot fence around my yard and bed down in my back yard in the winter. They use the narrow side yard between my house and the neighbors' as their own private entrance into the other backyards that aren't fenced. My previous dog liked to patrol his perimeter which kept them outside the fence but the current one isn't a patroller, and the bambis have been getting bolder and bolder.

This summer, because it's been so dry, they've taken to browsing on my daylilies and phlox and drinking at my garden pond. I've gotten up early to let the cats out and found deer wandering on my brick patio next to my house. I have given up planting tulips in my front yard because the deer eat all the buds just before they open. They've been raiding the hosta, phlox, and hollyhocks buds out front, too.

Did I mention I live in a city?

Old 07-18-2016, 05:02 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Wow, where do you live that there aren't deer? They are EVERYwhere!

But it's the raccoons that are trying to take over the universe now. I've stopped putting food in the bird feeder just to try to discourage the raccoons from coming in my yard at night. I figure the birds have other sources of food in the summer. I'll wait until freeze before I start putting food in the feeder again.

In fact, I can't figure out what the raccoons are even coming into my fenced yard for at all. The apple and mulberry trees are in the unfenced big yard, the corn bins are across the road, the feral cats get shut into the garage with their food at dusk, so why must the raccoons come in the fence? All I can think the raccoons might be eating in the fenced yard is dog poop. Do they do that?
They come because they're raccoons and they like to snoop, especially the young ones. I always make sure my garage doors are closed well before dusk so that none get in there or they'll tear everything apart trying to get out. I had a cookout in June and moved the grill out to the patio so there was more room for people on the deck, and later that night a family of five showed up to investigate the grill and its residual smells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature