Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2016, 05:00 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times

Advertisements

I know we have another coyote thread going, but I don't want to hijack it. In this case we know darn well what the critter is, because it is parading back and forth on the other side of the fence in our lower backyard, in broad daylight....Yep, it's a coyote!

We have two dogs, a medium-size Shepherd-Sheltie mix (Tribbles), and a Chihuahua-Jack Russell mix (Little Guy). They've been going nuts over the skunk we've had issues with earlier, now back in our lower backyard after having been gone for a while, so we thought they were doing their skunk-barking from the deck overlooking the backyard slope (fenced off from the lower section). But no, it has turned out to be a coyote. We know there are coyotes in the canyon which we live above, but they usually run once they see us. But this one is persistent. It doesn't run down into the canyon, but up toward the bushes in an unfenced area of our backyard where it joins two neighbors' properties, so we think it/she may have a den there. She looks very healthy, and part of my brain admires coyotes for their intelligence and family spirit, just like part of my brain admires wolves. But this one is just too bold, and too close, and while the fence is 5 ft tall, I don't consider it impossible that she might jump it, hunting for our little dog. Tribbles can probably take care of herself, she's 1/3 bigger than the coyote, but Little Guy is just one mouthful. I've reinforced the upper fence so the dogs can't push their way down into the lower backyard (which they did this morning). That little coyote has been running back and forth along the fence three mornings in a row, or she's just sitting out there, watching our pups go crazy over her. Great entertainment for her, I'm sure.

So, any suggestions? How do you get rid of a coyote den? And "S-S-S" is not an option . Would Animal Control be of any help? We're not going to go looking for that den, because that could present a danger to ourselves. It is on private property, not on public lands, so we may have some clout there. What do you think? I doubt that we can scare her away if she has pups.

Of course we can just keep the dogs inside, but they're used to having access to the upper part of the backyard. And honestly, I don't like the thought of a coyote den less than 20 yards from the house, even if we didn't have dogs.

Yes, we have lots of wildlife...rabbits, squirrels, tree rats, hawks, horned owls, bobcats, skunks, raccoons, and coyotes. And rattlesnakes, who killed our WSD Sweetie two years ago. That's life on the rim of a SoCal canyon. We're just tackling the problems one at a time...

(Up in our vacation/retirement home in North Idaho we merely worry about wolves, bears, and moose...)
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 05:42 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I do not have any advice, but just an opinion.
The coyotes are just trying to live their lives despite the human encroachment. I would keep my pets under tight control. Either they will all achieve detente, or the coyotes eat your pets, or the coyotes will move.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:31 AM

248 posts, read 194,379 times
Contact animal control...duh.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:32 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,216 times
Is there a neighbor who is possibly feeding it? To hang that close all the time, there must be an abundant food supply and she possibly knows the routine.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:54 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Is there a neighbor who is possibly feeding it? To hang that close all the time, there must be an abundant food supply and she possibly knows the routine.
No, none of our neighbors even use their backyards as much as we do, let along their sections of the canyon slope. But there are plenty of rabbits...

I think she's just watching our Little Guy and waiting for the right moment to jump the fence and grab him. Big commotion down there in the lower backyard this evening: Tribbles broke through the closed upper gate (she's strong!) and rushed down below to bark furiously into the dark. I grabbed Little Guy and put him in the house before he could follow his "big sister."

In the meantime I've found a website that promises to remove coyotes humanely and relocate them:
http://animalcontrolsandiego.com/coy...val-san-diego/

Honestly, I didn't think Animal Control had that kind of humane service, which is why I didn't think they were an option. So we'll give them a call.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:11 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
As long as you don't honestly believe that service will remove the coyote "humanely", go ahead and call them. They may trap it humanely in your eyesight, but they'll destroy it afterwards. It's simply not economically feasible for them to drive the coyote a long distance to relocate the animal to a new territory, and often it's against state or local regulations. I found this out when I had to call someone to get rid of two groundhogs that had dug a den under my 1927 garage and I made him give me an honest answer as to what would happen to them - contrary to his advertisement for "humane" removal.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:33 PM

352 posts, read 285,600 times
It's either the coyote or your pets. If there is more than one coyote it's possible they will not only kill your small dog they will also kill your large dog. It's possible you can find a humane trapper that will release them without harm, but usually they don't.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:10 AM

248 posts, read 194,379 times
If I were a coyote I would be ready to go after those ankle bitters myself. More than likely yappers.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:09 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
To make a coyote move its den, use the old trappers trick. Put human urine at the entry. It will be gone in 24 hours along with the pups. Trappers use this method to separate coyotes from deer when they're crossing fences at the same location. The trapper then finds the new coyote crossing and sets his traps and doesn't have to worry about catching a deer. If you want to trap the coyote, set the trap where a female dog urinates. Coyotes are a smell sensitive animal.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:48 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
You might wish to get a great Pyrenees dog to protect your others. They can jump a fence, and they can kill other large dogs, as I have seen them surround one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature