Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 05:26 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Introduction of fourteen wolves into the park created a domino effect that restored the ecology of the park.

They Released 14 Wolves In A Park. But No One Was Prepared For THIS. What Happens Next Is A Miracle And Proves That We Must Take Care Of Our Amazing Planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 05:51 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
Great documentary SuzyQ. All of the kids in school should have to view it. Adults too, for that matter.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:34 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,666 times
Too bad a non-native species was introduced.

You know pockets were lined on that deal.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Too bad a non-native species was introduced.

You know pockets were lined on that deal.
The wolves introduced into the park are close relatives of the natives.

They were chosen in order to have leeway in killing them if that was necessary to protect livestock, since they were not endangered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_reintroduction

Old 10-22-2016, 07:47 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,666 times
Uh huh. But now they are protected. Who didn't see that coming? lol

Old 10-22-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Uh huh. But now they are protected. Who didn't see that coming? lol
Protected within the park, not outside.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Protected within the park, not outside.
They are and have been protected outside the park. They're Canadian wolves, much larger than the original wolves found in Wyoming. They have spread throughout most of the mountains in Wyoming and surrounding states. Sheep herders have not been allowed (legally) to kill these wolves in eastern Wyoming, even when they're chasing their flock. The wolves have not been appreciated by ranchers in the Mountain West! A few years ago a small pack of wolves killed twenty-some head of sheep from a small herd -- killed and left uneaten; apparently Mom was teaching her kids how to hunt. All part of nature, but it's hard on ranchers who are already struggling to survive.

This has been a fed thing. The states involved have little say. They try to initiate a hunting season to keep the wolf population low outside the park, but then the feds come in and say they can't. Idaho has had a hunting season for a couple years. Wyoming tried, and I believe they were allowed to issue a handful of hunting tags. Not sure where Montana is with it now. (For that matter, I'm not sure what the status is regarding hunting in any of the states, including Wyoming. It keeps changing as the feds change their minds.)

Remember when you watch these videos and read stories, most are slanted, and the majority are slanted pro-wolf.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
They are and have been protected outside the park. They're Canadian wolves, much larger than the original wolves found in Wyoming. They have spread throughout most of the mountains in Wyoming and surrounding states. Sheep herders have not been allowed (legally) to kill these wolves in eastern Wyoming, even when they're chasing their flock. The wolves have not been appreciated by ranchers in the Mountain West! A few years ago a small pack of wolves killed twenty-some head of sheep from a small herd -- killed and left uneaten; apparently Mom was teaching her kids how to hunt. All part of nature, but it's hard on ranchers who are already struggling to survive.

This has been a fed thing. The states involved have little say. They try to initiate a hunting season to keep the wolf population low outside the park, but then the feds come in and say they can't. Idaho has had a hunting season for a couple years. Wyoming tried, and I believe they were allowed to issue a handful of hunting tags. Not sure where Montana is with it now. (For that matter, I'm not sure what the status is regarding hunting in any of the states, including Wyoming. It keeps changing as the feds change their minds.)

Remember when you watch these videos and read stories, most are slanted, and the majority are slanted pro-wolf.
My understanding was that there was a fund to compensate ranchers for depredation losses. Is that not true? Also, are large losses like the the sheep slaughter common, or is it more likely wolves will take one animal for food?

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/wolfmgnt.htm

"In September 2014, wolves were relisted in Wyoming due to on-going litigation and resulted in no wolf hunt in Wyoming. Idaho and Montana conducted wolf hunts and at least two wolves (both radio-collared), and possibly three others that primarily used Yellowstone National Park, were legally harvested during these hunts (because these wolves were possibly harvested they are not included in the 'Mortalities' section)."

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Wildlife-in-Wyo...ves-in-Wyoming

I am certainly not an expert. I just found the effects on Yellowstone Park of introducing the wolves to be very interesting, and I am not sure that there is anything that we humans could have done that would have accomplished what the wolves did as efficiently as they did.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:24 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I'm not an expert either, Suzy. I know ranchers but I'm not one, so the information I gather is second-hand and generally from a rancher who isn't happy with wolves. There may be some compensation. I've heard of it but don't know if it's still being given. From what I gather, many ranchers adhere to the SSS philosophy -- Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'm not an expert either, Suzy. I know ranchers but I'm not one, so the information I gather is second-hand and generally from a rancher who isn't happy with wolves. There may be some compensation. I've heard of it but don't know if it's still being given. From what I gather, many ranchers adhere to the SSS philosophy -- Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up.
I sort of suspected the SSS philosophy might be in play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature