Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 11:32 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times

Advertisements

Good bugs. As long as they stay in the basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 04:40 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Scutigera coleoptrara, the house centipede, can bite, although bites are rare since their forcipules are not strong enough to penetrate human skin. The bite feels like a bee sting and can cause redness and mild to severe swelling. Of course, that means you'd have to be dumb enough to let one of these horrors get close enough to bite you - I'd be running the other way! BTW, this time of year the cooling weather forces them indoors to find shelter in human habitats. Oh, and house centipedes, many of which live their entire lives indoors, have an average life span of 3 to 7 years. Fortunately, they eat other pests such as roaches, flies, moths, bedbugs, and earwigs. So enjoy! The centipede can be your friend! (At a distance).

From quite a distance, now. I'm so outa that place. There were other bugs as well as these. I miss my little ranch, but the ex took it. Life continues. Well, now I know what a house centipede looks like. I thought I'd seen every manner of bug we had bere, but, learn something every day.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:42 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,250,716 times
I knew from your description that it was a centipede. They always freak me out. And yes, they LOVE damp places like your attic. I am not too fond of millipedes, either. Yuck.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:23 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,945,768 times
A man had adopted a centipede as a pet. Named him Penny. (Get it?) One gorgeous Fall day, he said, "Penny, I'm going for a walk; want to come along?" There was no response so he said again, a little louder, "Penny, want to go for a walk with me?" Still no reply so he called out, somewhat testily, "Penny, can't you hear me?" With that, he heard, "Holy cow! Can't you wait a minute? I'm putting on my shoes!"

Old 10-23-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I knew from your description that it was a centipede. They always freak me out. And yes, they LOVE damp places like your attic. I am not too fond of millipedes, either. Yuck.
I'd never seen a centipede like these. The ones I am familiar with are the regular, red colored, ones with the shorter legs , and they don't come in the house. Find them in old woodpiles a lot. These are just...creepy. lol. And I'm used to bugs. Well, they're a few full grades better than scorpions to have around. Scorpions like workboots. We always shake out our shoes. It's been a habit since I was very young.

I'm glad to be moved out of that place. It was an old, single wide mobile. Never felt homey to me. I'm in a nice roomy 1 bdrm apt now. 800 Sq feet, quite comfy, clean and homey feeling. My gf likes this way better too, and I'm only 5 min away now instead of 30. My honeydew list went up exponentially, but that's ok. Hers did to. Now she gets to help me decorate the new place, and no weird bugs.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:57 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,250,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I'd never seen a centipede like these. The ones I am familiar with are the regular, red colored, ones with the shorter legs , and they don't come in the house. Find them in old woodpiles a lot. These are just...creepy. lol. And I'm used to bugs. Well, they're a few full grades better than scorpions to have around. Scorpions like workboots. We always shake out our shoes. It's been a habit since I was very young.

I'm glad to be moved out of that place. It was an old, single wide mobile. Never felt homey to me. I'm in a nice roomy 1 bdrm apt now. 800 Sq feet, quite comfy, clean and homey feeling. My gf likes this way better too, and I'm only 5 min away now instead of 30. My honeydew list went up exponentially, but that's ok. Hers did to. Now she gets to help me decorate the new place, and no weird bugs.
And those suckers can move incredibly fast! <shudder>

Old 10-26-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
And those suckers can move incredibly fast! <shudder>
I noticed that. Lol Quite agile for such an ungainly looking critter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature