Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 07:52 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's impossible to know because we have no way to test animals for intelligence. We can't talk to them and ask them.

We can test for train-ability and that's about it. An animal who won't be trained might be too stupid to learn, or then it might just not be interested in doing tricks for humans.

We also want to test intelligence to mean the same things it means in a human. Animals are not humans and very likely use their intelligence in different ways. We tend to think animals are smart if they use their intelligence in the same ways that humans do, which really isn't a valid criteria.

We also tend to label animals smart if they can communicate with us, or at least understand and comply with orders. Again, not really a valid criteria.
We can also test problem solving.

Crows and ravens are extremely smart and have been observed making and using tools (bending sticks and wire to dig out insects from a tree), using weights to raise the water level in a tube so that they can reach a piece of food floating in the tube, and other problem solving measures.

They can identify specific people and other birds and associate them with certain behaviors and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 08:45 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
duhhhh...I don't know, a computer or maybe a space ship?

Old 11-30-2016, 10:33 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,974,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's impossible to know because we have no way to test animals for intelligence. We can't talk to them and ask them.

We can test for train-ability and that's about it. An animal who won't be trained might be too stupid to learn, or then it might just not be interested in doing tricks for humans.

We also want to test intelligence to mean the same things it means in a human. Animals are not humans and very likely use their intelligence in different ways. We tend to think animals are smart if they use their intelligence in the same ways that humans do, which really isn't a valid criteria.

We also tend to label animals smart if they can communicate with us, or at least understand and comply with orders. Again, not really a valid criteria.

We have no way of knowing if, perhaps, the three toed sloth is the greatest philosopher of all times. Maybe he moves slow becasue all of his energy goes towards thinking. But he won't learn to do tricks for humans because he is too smart to let us know how bright he is or to spend his energy doing tricks for us.
This!

We are humans judging other species by our own criteria. We have our own brand of survival skills - linked to what we call 'intelligence'. But, even so, not all of us humans possess even those (and I am inclined to think lately that indeed many of us are losing much of our 'so-called' intelligence as time goes on. )

I have opposable thumbs too - but that doesn't mean that makes me intelligent or better than an animal who doesn't. And actually it may mean that because they don't have that facility they have to work harder to get any task done - and that may force them to develop better problem solving skills which may in turn make them all more 'intelligent' than us.

Many other species have survived longer than we have so far so who is to say that their form of 'intelligence' has not been the reason for that in great part? In their own environments, even if pursued by predators, various animals have developed 'skills' and 'processes' to stay alive at least long enough to propagate, to feed themselves and to shelter themselves and their young.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:58 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Uh, man is the smartest animal.

We are also the deadliest and most destructive by far.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:09 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,747 times
I read that a coyote was really intelligent. What they do is mimic a dog because they know us humans except dogs in our midst. Sometimes they will befriend a neighbors dog and play with it etc. but when they the dog alone and away from human eyes they will kill it and eat it.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:27 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Anyone know. Or is it possible to know such a thing. I heard once that Dolphins were smart but then recently I read that it wasn't true. They aren't smart. I read that blackbirds were highly intelligent.
Humans.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:21 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Apes and whales.

Orcas and dolphins are quite intelligent, as their communications are complex and they have the ability to pass on their knowledge to others of their species.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:30 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
Quote:
Anyone know. Or is it possible to know such a thing. I heard once that Dolphins were smart but then recently I read that it wasn't true. They aren't smart. I read that blackbirds were highly intelligent.
Humans. Perhaps.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:50 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Humans.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:41 PM

869 posts, read 1,124,558 times
When it comes to human beings we as a specie most often associate smarts with good looks.

If we extrapolate that judgment call to the animal kingdom then tigers, leopards and such should appear much smarter than apes, dolphins, crows etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature