Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 10:51 AM

81 posts, read 99,219 times

Advertisements

Okay, so stupid question for the day, but why when you go to a beach or a tropical location or country, why do palm trees out in the wild never have skirts? Is it the winds there? Is it something to do with the animals there that perhaps pick the dead palms off? It just seems odd that you can go to these places and clearly they are not maintained by people but somehow never have skirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 12:54 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJude View Post
Okay, so stupid question for the day, but why when you go to a beach or a tropical location or country, why do palm trees out in the wild never have skirts? Is it the winds there? Is it something to do with the animals there that perhaps pick the dead palms off? It just seems odd that you can go to these places and clearly they are not maintained by people but somehow never have skirts.
Palm fronds have always been very valuable. In Jamaica the poor people will climb those trees to get them and sell them. They make shelters and palapas(sp?). I assume a good hurricane or tropical storm could blow them down easily too. If you go deep into nature I am assuming you will see some overgrown ones.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:19 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
My theory: They are different species than what we have here. Ours are mostly Mexican fans and California fans that are desert adapted. The skirts protect the growth areas of the palm from heat and sunlight.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:21 PM

18 posts, read 26,611 times
different palm species grow in arid hot desert vs those grown in tropical areas.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:49 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJude View Post
Okay, so stupid question for the day, but why when you go to a beach or a tropical location or country, why do palm trees out in the wild never have skirts?
They clearly prefer pants.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:56 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
As they get older many palms will shed their older fronds. Usually it takes a storm with high winds to blow them off.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:57 PM

311 posts, read 451,114 times
Considering that there are about 2800 different palm species, you cannot expect them all to be alike. I am going to guess that you are familiar with Washingtonia palms, which naturally hold onto their old fronds, forming a "skirt", unless burned off, blown off in a storm or otherwise removed.

Coconut palms are likely to be what you are speaking of in referring to palms at the beach. They do not naturally hold a "skirt" as they shed their old, dead fronds.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:07 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
We don't get enough weather here so most all have big skirts. They are a natural spot for birds and mammals to live.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:27 AM

997 posts, read 937,105 times
I thought you were going to ask why don't palm trees have coconuts.

None that I have ever seen have a coconut and that seems unfair.

I am sure it has something to do with where that kind of palm tree grows, but since you brought up the palm tree question, I always wondered about the lack of coconuts.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:15 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeZoo View Post
Considering that there are about 2800 different palm species, you cannot expect them all to be alike. I am going to guess that you are familiar with Washingtonia palms, which naturally hold onto their old fronds, forming a "skirt", unless burned off, blown off in a storm or otherwise removed.

Coconut palms are likely to be what you are speaking of in referring to palms at the beach. They do not naturally hold a "skirt" as they shed their old, dead fronds.
Correct answer above. Palms trees come in many varieties. Some lose their old leaves which fall off immediately or with a little wind. Others like the Mexican palm and California palm which happens to be the only palm native to CA in the low deserts keep their old leave on which eventually forms a skirt. The lower leaves do eventually fall off naturally.
One thing I'd like to mention is that palm trees do not have fronds. They have leaves. Only ferns have fronds that I'm aware of.
These are California fan palms Washingtonia filifera in their natural environment somewhere in the lower desert probably near Palm Springs. I would assume these palms have evolved to keep their skirts as someone else has mentioned to shade their trunks from the hot sun. Temps in summertime in this area are usually between 100-115 and higher for several months.

Last edited by marino760; 12-29-2016 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature