U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2017, 05:46 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
403 posts, read 487,618 times
Reputation: 256

Advertisements

There is an evil European Hornets nest by my apartment, and they keep flying near me! I saw somebody trying to feed them though, and they didn't get stung for some reason. Are they aggressive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2017, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
8,302 posts, read 4,781,116 times
Reputation: 21682
They can be aggressive if you approach their nest or try to swat them. But if you stay away from them, they'll generally stay away from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2017, 04:25 AM
 
Location: LI,NY zone 7a
2,217 posts, read 1,320,072 times
Reputation: 2703
If you can see the entire nest, then my bet, they are not european hornets. They prefer to build their nests in some sort of cavity, like a hollowed out tree, or a wall cavity. They are also quite large in size. What you may have are european wasps, which are a little smaller than a paper wasp. Here's a not so good photo of a european hornet in my backyard. This guy was roughly 2 1/2 inches in length with a diameter of my pinky. Not very aggressive on their own, but the size alone will give you pause.



If the nest looks like this one, that was in my front yard, I would stay away. These are baldfaced hornets, and will sting with little to no provocation. Nasty, nasty bee.


Last edited by LIcenter; 01-28-2017 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2017, 08:08 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ~🌄 ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️🌄~
8,654 posts, read 7,411,353 times
Reputation: 17897
Quote:

Nasty, nasty bee
Sorry but I just have to say this, especially here in the Nature Forum, because this is something I have a big bee in my bonnet about.

There is no such thing as a nasty bee. There never was and never will be a nasty bee.

I wish people would stop referring to hornets and wasps as bees. All it does is promote continued ignorance in already ignorant people who think bees and wasps and hornets are all the same thing that need to be killed and it gives a bad reputation to innocent bees which bees do not deserve.

Please don't do it.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2017, 11:22 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
15,136 posts, read 12,267,061 times
Reputation: 13988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Sorry but I just have to say this, especially here in the Nature Forum, because this is something I have a big bee in my bonnet about.

There is no such thing as a nasty bee. There never was and never will be a nasty bee.

I wish people would stop referring to hornets and wasps as bees. All it does is promote continued ignorance in already ignorant people who think bees and wasps and hornets are all the same thing that need to be killed and it gives a bad reputation to innocent bees which bees do not deserve.

Please don't do it.

.
True. Bees are our friends. Yes, they pack a sting, but when they use it whatever is getting stung richly deserves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2017, 05:02 AM
 
Location: LI,NY zone 7a
2,217 posts, read 1,320,072 times
Reputation: 2703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Sorry but I just have to say this, especially here in the Nature Forum, because this is something I have a big bee in my bonnet about.

There is no such thing as a nasty bee. There never was and never will be a nasty bee.

I wish people would stop referring to hornets and wasps as bees. All it does is promote continued ignorance in already ignorant people who think bees and wasps and hornets are all the same thing that need to be killed and it gives a bad reputation to innocent bees which bees do not deserve.

Please don't do it.

.
Nowhere in my post did I advocate the killing of nature's critters. I specifically said to stay away.
You wanna beat me up for using the generic term "bee" fine. I know it's a wasp, and will try to 'BE' more careful in the future. Okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2017, 12:43 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ~🌄 ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️🌄~
8,654 posts, read 7,411,353 times
Reputation: 17897
Okay! The bees thank you for your consideration of their feelings.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2017, 02:50 AM
 
248 posts, read 133,588 times
Reputation: 406
Are Europeans aggressive?? :-P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2017, 07:47 AM
bg7
 
7,697 posts, read 8,585,049 times
Reputation: 15152
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
If you can see the entire nest, then my bet, they are not european hornets. They prefer to build their nests in some sort of cavity, like a hollowed out tree, or a wall cavity. They are also quite large in size. What you may have are european wasps, which are a little smaller than a paper wasp. Here's a not so good photo of a european hornet in my backyard. This guy was roughly 2 1/2 inches in length with a diameter of my pinky. Not very aggressive on their own, but the size alone will give you pause.



If the nest looks like this one, that was in my front yard, I would stay away. These are baldfaced hornets, and will sting with little to no provocation. Nasty, nasty bee.
??
As most people are taught when they are children, bees and wasps are quite distinct. And their propensity to sting humans, and their usefulness TO humans, is entirely different. Hence why most kids already know the difference by the time they reach 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2017, 07:49 AM
bg7
 
7,697 posts, read 8,585,049 times
Reputation: 15152
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Nowhere in my post did I advocate the killing of nature's critters. I specifically said to stay away.
You wanna beat me up for using the generic term "bee" fine. I know it's a wasp, and will try to 'BE' more careful in the future. Okay?
Bee is a generic term for the different types of bee. Not wasps. Like dog isn't a generic term for coyotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top