Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 01:16 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,205,225 times

Advertisements

70s in Feb. and up to a week ago so they came up from the South. Then came a snow/sleet event with temps now well below 32F. Almost looks like they're pleading with you to help.

Mom used to fry bread crumbs in some kind of fat. I got the bread but no fats, oils, or lard. Hope this will be enough to keep them going until this mess melts and they can get to seeds or whatever else they like on the ground.

If I can get out later this week, will buy some seeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 01:34 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,810,670 times
Some birds are fruit-eaters - if you have apples, pears, or grapes or canned fruit on hand, cut it into small bits and scatter it. Robins, among others, will appreciate it.

Thank you for your kind heart.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:53 PM

OK. Got lots of fresh apples and pears. Also preserves in jars but they're the non-sugar variety. Don't know if that'll ruin the taste for them. Guess they can't be choosy under these circumstances. OK, birdies, here come the fresh fruit and bread.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:04 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,615,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
70s in Feb. and up to a week ago so they came up from the South. Then came a snow/sleet event with temps now well below 32F. Almost looks like they're pleading with you to help.

Mom used to fry bread crumbs in some kind of fat. I got the bread but no fats, oils, or lard. Hope this will be enough to keep them going until this mess melts and they can get to seeds or whatever else they like on the ground.

If I can get out later this week, will buy some seeds.
I second the thanks for your kindness. Tree swallows came in last week and I was concerned about their post-migration arrival with this snow and freaky weather (they are not strictly insectivores but I think that this winter has been long and hard for many of our residents and I think that food supply has dwindled).

Some seed thrown on the ground will definitely help the sparrows and other seed-eaters to get through this rough patch. A friend of mine had a variety of sparrows at his backyard feeder yesterday that he doesn't normally have.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
I second the thanks for your kindness. Tree swallows came in last week and I was concerned about their post-migration arrival with this snow and freaky weather (they are not strictly insectivores but I think that this winter has been long and hard for many of our residents and I think that food supply has dwindled).

Some seed thrown on the ground will definitely help the sparrows and other seed-eaters to get through this rough patch. A friend of mine had a variety of sparrows at his backyard feeder yesterday that he doesn't normally have.

They hardly touched the bread. Found a 4lb. bag of popping corn, scattered some, but they didn't care for that either. Maybe these are strictly insectivores.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:49 PM

3,953 posts, read 4,194,140 times
The birds have been eating like crazy. Peanuts and black oil sunflower seed seem to be the favorites. They have been hanging around my feeders all day. Some fresh water is a big attraction, too, but it freezes so quickly in this crazy cold weather!

Old 03-16-2017, 02:44 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,387,296 times
We just toss out leftover/spoiled fruit and veggies out into the yard. We also dump out the pet bird's mash and seed left overs out there.

Something eats it all. Birds, bunnies dont know, but we are keeping someone alive.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:23 PM

10,045 posts, read 6,321,235 times
The grackles that come to my yard really like the dry cat food I leave out for the stray cats, along with the "good" bird seed, of course. I know they have to eat too, but sometimes I try and scare them away from the yard so the smaller birds can get to the feeders. And I have to confess to a partiality towards the cardinals, titmice, chickadees, blue jays, and finches as well. I also put out the packaged little teeny suet balls that the mockingbirds absolutely love - they'll stand on the feeder edge and just stuff them in!

Old 03-16-2017, 08:41 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,277,295 times
Default Lol

Our weather here has not been too awful this winter but this week has been a little bit of a challenge so they should get a little help from whomever is able and willing to do so; and I don't mind at all.

When I pull into my parking space, somehow 'they' know it's me and that in fact they will be getting some very nice toasted bread cut in very small pieces along with a cup of wild bird seed. They have even gotten some craisins, nice leftover crushed Cheerios and Wheaties as well.

Blessings to all who try to enrich the little lives of creatures great and small.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:05 PM

3,953 posts, read 4,194,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
The grackles that come to my yard really like the dry cat food I leave out for the stray cats, along with the "good" bird seed, of course. I know they have to eat too, but sometimes I try and scare them away from the yard so the smaller birds can get to the feeders. And I have to confess to a partiality towards the cardinals, titmice, chickadees, blue jays, and finches as well. I also put out the packaged little teeny suet balls that the mockingbirds absolutely love - they'll stand on the feeder edge and just stuff them in!
I have to put the dry cat food my ferals eat under the shed during the day. Otherwise, the starlings and grackles eat it all. And poop in the bowl for good measure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature