U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2017, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,498 posts, read 45,497,620 times
Reputation: 47478

Advertisements

https://www.facebook.com/85527701794...c_ref=NEWSFEED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2017, 05:12 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 3,285,577 times
Reputation: 4154
A man in rural Ontario was killed by lightning a few years ago while riding his motorcycle on a highway. Freak lightning strikes at moving vehicles are possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2017, 06:20 PM
 
5,659 posts, read 2,866,127 times
Reputation: 5137
Wow!
What are the chances of that.
It's nice to see so.many people coming to help them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Status: "shut me up for 100 BTC. ;)" (set 1 hour ago)
 
Location: Sector 001
7,437 posts, read 6,883,618 times
Reputation: 8623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Wow!
What are the chances of that.
It's nice to see so.many people coming to help them.
I thought you were being sarcastic until I went back to watch more of the video and saw the wave of people running. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2017, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,759 posts, read 65,597,364 times
Reputation: 32943
I got hit by lightening while moving. The lightening actually hit a parking lot light pole near me and arced out to hit my car as I went by. I was not hurt, but I had no memory of anything from seeing the flash to being 100 or so feet away and everything in my car was dead. I do not think I blacked out, but for whatever reason my mind just shut out 10 seconds or so and it was gone. No one was around, so no help. I had to walk to a pay phone and call for help. It was easily repaired though (for the most part, some things never worked again).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2017, 11:25 AM
 
Location: British Columbia ~🌄 ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️🌄~
8,674 posts, read 7,422,500 times
Reputation: 17964
In 2014 in Edmonton, Alberta a moving pickup truck was struck by lightning and the incident was captured on surveillance camera. For a few seconds the truck was a moving ball of flame and smoke rolling down the highway before it came to a stop. The doors were welded shut from the strike and the elderly couple inside couldn't get out of the burning truck. Miraculously, an RCMP officer just happened to be on the scene at the exact time it happened and he was able to break the windows and get them out. The man and his wife in the truck walked away from the fried vehicle with minor injuries, some smoke inhalation and ringing ears. They said the sound of the lightning striking was like a sonic boom inside the truck.


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2017, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,759 posts, read 65,597,364 times
Reputation: 32943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
In 2014 in Edmonton, Alberta a moving pickup truck was struck by lightning and the incident was captured on surveillance camera. For a few seconds the truck was a moving ball of flame and smoke rolling down the highway before it came to a stop. The doors were welded shut from the strike and the elderly couple inside couldn't get out of the burning truck. Miraculously, an RCMP officer just happened to be on the scene at the exact time it happened and he was able to break the windows and get them out. The man and his wife in the truck walked away from the fried vehicle with minor injuries, some smoke inhalation and ringing ears. They said the sound of the lightning striking was like a sonic boom inside the truck.


.
I guess I was lucky it hit the pole first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2017, 03:32 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ~🌄 ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️🌄~
8,674 posts, read 7,422,500 times
Reputation: 17964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I guess I was lucky it hit the pole first

Lucky indeed and I'm glad for you. I don't know much about how lightning works but I'm guessing the pole must have absorbed or redirected the worst of the charge before it arced to your car. I think it's wonderful that you survived and were actually able to walk away for help. I have heard of some other incidences where lightning strikes had permanently impaired the memory or cognitive faculties of survivors so it's even more fortuitous that your memory of the incident was effected for only a short time and that you suffered no other ill consequences.


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2017, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,759 posts, read 65,597,364 times
Reputation: 32943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Lucky indeed and I'm glad for you. I don't know much about how lightning works but I'm guessing the pole must have absorbed or redirected the worst of the charge before it arced to your car. I think it's wonderful that you survived and were actually able to walk away for help. I have heard of some other incidences where lightning strikes had permanently impaired the memory or cognitive faculties of survivors so it's even more fortuitous that your memory of the incident was effected for only a short time and that you suffered no other ill consequences.


.
If it even shocked me at all I have no memory of it. I certainly had no burns.

It may be possible it went around me, I do not know. I am aware of an incident where a crane operator stuck his boom into a power line. The electricity arced all around him on every surface of the cab. he let go of the controls and had insulated boots and it did not touch him. He did wet his pants while sitting inside a ball of fire for a few seconds. Lightening is a lot more powerful though. I do not know if it woudl do that. I wish I could remember those few seconds.

My wife had a high school friend who was hit three times (different years). The third time it killed him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Southern MN
7,176 posts, read 4,066,442 times
Reputation: 25302
I was in a car that was either struck by lightning or had an explosion of ball lightening on the hood. It was in 1964 and a group of us kids were out in the bean fields on a hot summer day hoeing weeds.


Suddenly from the west a very low dark cloud approached us rapidly and we realized it was time to call it a day. As we ran for the car I remember thinking I could nearly reach up with the hoe and "touch" the cloud it looked so close to the ground.


We jumped in and started for home. All of a sudden we were surrounded by a flash of light. It looked like a sun sitting on the hood of the car. And there was a terrible low grinding noise. The noise was deafening. The car stopped dead and the light disappeared.


The first thing I did was look down to see if I was holding onto the metal door handle thinking if I had been I may have been electrocuted. Apparently the tires kept us grounded.


But we were all speechless for a few minutes. It was quite an experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top