U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 09:47 PM

3,482 posts, read 2,612,686 times

Advertisements

I would love to see a white deer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 09:49 PM

3,482 posts, read 2,612,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I had one in the backyard a few years ago. looking out first thing in the morning, half asleep, my first thought was "why is there a llama in the backyard?" It was only about fifteen feet away, looking right at me and it wasn't an albino; either an all white piebald or leucistic because it had a dark nose and eyes.
My neighbor down the block used to raise llamas. They regularly escaped his yard and came into our yard. They were huge! LOL There was a llama-in-chief and whatever that llama did, all the other llamas did. If L-I-C munched, everyone munched. If L-I-C laid down, so did all the other llamas. They were fun to watch.

I have never seen a white deer, though.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:23 PM

32,525 posts, read 31,802,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
We have whole herds of white deer in my area. They're in a fenced in area that's an old Army Depot. The locals are trying to protect them from development. They are really cool to see! Sadly, in the wild white one's don't normally make it very long.

Seneca White Deer, Inc. — World's largest herd of all-white, white-tailed deer (Seneca Army Depot, NY)
Thanks for posting that link. My grandfather, a munitions expert, worked at Seneca Depot during WWII. He was a nature lover who would have loved knowing white deer are inhabiting a place associated with war 70 years ago.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:37 AM

107 posts, read 56,688 times
Wow I never heard of a white deer, how beautiful!

Old 05-29-2017, 05:06 AM

6,087 posts, read 11,679,661 times
If you get to see the deer again, hopefully often, you can look for certain traits that are carried by albino and roan (brown and white) deer. You might need binoculars. Look for a short jaw, easiest to notice when it's standing with its head lifted or chewing. Curved spine is more difficult to see unless it's severe. They sometimes have shorter legs than normal. They're beautiful but they can have serious difficulties that make them easier prey. You might have a great opportunity to study an animal in detail.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:15 PM

50,605 posts, read 40,059,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yea some clown who needs to boost his ego will try to kill it.

I saw an albino squirrel two weeks back. Not as impressive, but still.
Hey, no lie, yesterday I saw a BLONDE squirrel. I am not kidding. This squirrel was blonde and had a big, bushy, golden tail. I have never seen anything like it before. I tried to get a picture of him but I spooked him. But since he lives around here, maybe I'll see him again and get luckier.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:17 PM

50,605 posts, read 40,059,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
We have whole herds of white deer in my area. They're in a fenced in area that's an old Army Depot. The locals are trying to protect them from development. They are really cool to see! Sadly, in the wild white one's don't normally make it very long.

Seneca White Deer, Inc. — World's largest herd of all-white, white-tailed deer (Seneca Army Depot, NY)
Interesting. When I lived on Aberdeen Proving Grounds in MD, there was a herd of albino deer there too. I will never forget seeing a buck standing proudly in a frosty field with dark woods behind him. The sight took my breath away.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:54 PM

26,474 posts, read 9,912,749 times
What a treat seeing that white deer. The closest I was to a real deer was when driving down a country hill in PA years ago and a deer came up at my passenger window. Thank goodness there was no accident here.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:06 PM

664 posts, read 895,204 times
Oh, how nice, I would love to see one.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:05 PM

10,952 posts, read 9,021,082 times
For those yearning to see white deer, Rock City Gardens (on Lookout Mountain above Chattanooga) has a fenced herd of mostly white European fallow deer, some of which descend from the original Rock City deer introduced by the gardens' creator long ago. Rock City engaged in a herd restoration effort several years ago, as the surviving descendants of that first herd had become both few in number and inbred. Expanding the herd's genetic diversity made for greater numbers and healthier animals, and providing a new and larger enclosure that was closer to the deers' natural environment was a much needed upgrade. Visitors can now enjoy seeing healthy, thriving animals with a great deal of freedom, compared with most zoo animals. (Rock City is not a zoo, of course).

As for the mythical significance of white deer, see Kate Seredy's Newbery Award winning and beautifully illustrated children's book, "The White Stag", which is loosely based on Hungarian folklore of Attila the Hun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or