Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 12:47 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times

Advertisements

I'm a bird lover, BUT...

We are fortunate to have wild parakeets here, and for days now, a pair of them have been throwing themselves against our reflective glass sliders. I can sort of understand if they are challenging a perceived competitor, BUT, this is a mated pair. It was cute for awhile, but this has been going on for hours and days now.

I also know the term "bird-brained", but can't they finally realize it's no use? I had a pet bantam hen who pecked at her reflection ONCE, then "got it" and never did it again. Her brain was not much bigger!

Same with a bigger grackle-type bird who pecks VERY loudly against the frosted bathroom window. We even put up bird spikes---waste of time. They stand between them or ON the spikes and still peck.

Anyone have this happen? What did you do? Short of putting a sheet over the whole outside of the slider, I don't see what we can do. We had to take the screened slider off, as the parakeets were landing on it, and pecking holes in it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 01:05 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Have you tried those stickers you put on slider doors??

..they allow the bird to see there is a door instead of an opening....you need something to break their sight that indicates to them there is continued space in front of them.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:24 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I'm a bird lover, BUT...

We are fortunate to have wild parakeets here, and for days now, a pair of them have been throwing themselves against our reflective glass sliders. I can sort of understand if they are challenging a perceived competitor, BUT, this is a mated pair.
Who are attempting to drive "intruders" away from their nesting territory.

Quote:
I also know the term "bird-brained", but can't they finally realize it's no use?
Generally, no. Animals, even very bright ones, can have odd gaps in their ability to learn, and this is unfortunately one of them. Some animal species just don't "get" reflections, no matter how often they are exposed to them.

Quote:
Anyone have this happen? What did you do? Short of putting a sheet over the whole outside of the slider, I don't see what we can do. We had to take the screened slider off, as the parakeets were landing on it, and pecking holes in it!
Ultimately you have to find a way to make the surface less reflective, so the birds no longer see "intruders" that need to be driven off.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:19 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
I wonder if placing a section of lightweight garden lattice on the OUTSIDE of that slider might help. It is probably a seasonal thing so you may only need it for a short time.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:11 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
I'm actually surprised they haven't broken their necks on it yet. I do have stickers up on the glass doors to keep birds from thinking it's open space (reflecting the woods behind the house) and getting hurt or killed. It seems to be particularly worse on cloudy or mildly rainy days.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:36 AM

^^^Yes, I worry about them hurting themselves if they keep throwing themselves against the glass. Here they are now, clinging to some bubble wrap I put along the bottom of the sliders. They are picking at the tape and seem fascinated by it. They are so darling, as prior to moving here, I had only seen them in cages and that seemed so sad. It's fun because they can't see me, so are only a couple feet away. They are the kind that are so affectionate to each other, standing so close, "kissing" each other.

I don't THINK there are nests nearby, as this is a condo complex with no "hidden" crevices. But who knows. They are certainly determined about something. It IS nesting time, I was told.

Just as an aside, we have an infinity pool, and the birds just LOVE that lip for bathing. It is so enjoyable to see them splashing and dipping in it. Both green and yellow parakeets, and others.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I wonder if placing a section of lightweight garden lattice on the OUTSIDE of that slider might help. It is probably a seasonal thing so you may only need it for a short time.

Seeing their antics, I think they'd just land on the wood slats and peck in between. Now the grackles are at it, and they can really peck aggressively. It's like Hitchcock's "The Birds" around here right now--

And about gaps in animal learning, that is certainly true. My horse could never get used to flapping garments or blowing plastic bags. And deer never learn about headlights!

Old 02-10-2018, 09:53 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,215,638 times
Mean while in Finland...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOl05Q3pGqc

Old 02-10-2018, 01:49 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
I live in southern Portugal. Yesterday a very small, but very plump bird landed on the terrace outside my den. Despite being all one darkish color he was still interesting as he had bright eyes and was really perky, so I sat and watched him. He flitted against the sliding doors and few times, then hopped around the terrace floor for a bit.

As I had never seen this kind of bird I got up and walked slowly to the door until I was standing only a few inches away from it on the inside. He was not impressed. He flittled against the glass door a few more time and the went and perched on a flower pot and watched me. He flitted against the window right in front of me a few times and then flew off.

I was surprised that he/she would keep at it with me standing almost against the glass.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:56 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I live in southern Portugal. Yesterday a very small, but very plump bird landed on the terrace outside my den. Despite being all one darkish color he was still interesting as he had bright eyes and was really perky, so I sat and watched him. He flitted against the sliding doors and few times, then hopped around the terrace floor for a bit.

As I had never seen this kind of bird I got up and walked slowly to the door until I was standing only a few inches away from it on the inside. He was not impressed. He flittled against the glass door a few more time and the went and perched on a flower pot and watched me. He flitted against the window right in front of me a few times and then flew off.

I was surprised that he/she would keep at it with me standing almost against the glass.
From the birds angle... it may not have seen you at all.. but only glare or bright reflection of what was behind the bird. Maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature