U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:09 AM

36,499 posts, read 45,519,503 times

Advertisements

Oh No! I hope they find out what happened to him.Very sad.

https://www.facebook.com/topic/Unite...81094188740132
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 03:01 PM

5,946 posts, read 13,692,866 times
There is another thread on this either in Aviation or Current Events. My friend is a pilot for one of the big carriers and he always says he would never fly an animal of his on an airplane.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:36 PM

112 posts, read 92,696 times
Flying animals is very stressful for them, I would never ship any animal in the hold unless I was making a move overseas. My old rabbit was so sentive, I can't imagine the noise, vibrations, and confusion one would experience during a flight. It quite possibly died of fright.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:48 AM

12,987 posts, read 5,976,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
There is another thread on this either in Aviation or Current Events. My friend is a pilot for one of the big carriers and he always says he would never fly an animal of his on an airplane.
It really surprises me that the general public is so misinformed regarding flying animals in cargo. NEVER do it and if you do, be ready to find a dead animal upon arrival. Leave your animal home or find another way to transport them across the country if need be. Flying in cargo needs to stop being an option. It amounts to torture for the animal who has no idea what's happening to them and why. The stress alone is enough to kill an animal, not just rabbits.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:12 AM

6,478 posts, read 3,512,109 times
We had dogs sent to us on Delta Dash years ago (two different years), from GA to CO. They emerged healthy and perfectly normal, and merely glad to put legs on terra firma--not scared to death. But here's a clue: DD actually had canceled the original shipment to us on a previous day because of concerns that the temperature on our end would be too cold. They had a policy of refusing to ship if weather was too hot or too cold for the animals.

Given how United treats its nonfirst class, nonbusiness customers, the rabbit's death isn't all that surprising. But smearing all air providers with one broad brush is unfair. We were very happy with the service from Delta Dash, both times.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:58 AM

5,946 posts, read 13,692,866 times
From an article I read today, the rabbit was alive when it was removed from the plane. The customer refused United's offer to have an autopsy done. Surprisingly to me, the rabbit cost $350 but the cost to ship it was $1800.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:03 PM

36,499 posts, read 45,519,503 times
I thought this kind of bunny is available in this country.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:05 PM

2,952 posts, read 1,804,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
From an article I read today, the rabbit was alive when it was removed from the plane. The customer refused United's offer to have an autopsy done. Surprisingly to me, the rabbit cost $350 but the cost to ship it was $1800.
They could of bought 5 more rabbits for the price of shipping.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:54 PM

7,136 posts, read 3,448,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It really surprises me that the general public is so misinformed regarding flying animals in cargo. NEVER do it and if you do, be ready to find a dead animal upon arrival. Leave your animal home or find another way to transport them across the country if need be. Flying in cargo needs to stop being an option. It amounts to torture for the animal who has no idea what's happening to them and why. The stress alone is enough to kill an animal, not just rabbits.
We have transported our dog seven times to/from Hawaii/Portland and never had a problem. She has always been fine on the receiving end, wagging her tail, not looking stressed. She probably had it easier in the kennel than we did up in the cabin - it was big enough for her to lie down and stretch out. I barely fit in my seat. We have friends here in Hawaii who do the same thing and I have never heard any of them say anything bad happened.

What is the thing we are misinformed about?

Old 04-28-2017, 10:29 AM

4,787 posts, read 9,734,102 times
Dogs are predator animals, rabbits are prey animals. Dogs are mentally wired totally different from prey animals.

Rabbits easily die from fright and stress. The rabbit was alive when the first plane landed, then died when waiting to be transferred to another flight. Probably too overwhelmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or