Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 03:02 PM

403 posts, read 666,734 times

Advertisements

We have a nest by my apartment. I originally thought that they were bumble bees, but they turned out to be carpenter bees (which buzz louder for some reason), and somebody said that they are very passive and would only sting somebody if it gets mishandled. How useful are these guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 03:13 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
They pollinate a few plant species, but mostly they're regarded as pests because they burrow into wood to make their nests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpenter_bee

Old 05-24-2017, 08:13 PM

403 posts, read 666,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
They pollinate a few plant species, but mostly they're regarded as pests because they burrow into wood to make their nests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpenter_bee
It is super loud at night, to where it can make it difficult to sleep.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:16 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Buy one or make one yourself...

Carpenter bee trap

Old 05-25-2017, 08:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Buy one or make one yourself...

Carpenter bee trap
These do not do squat. Yes they catch some bees, but more just come.

You have to find the wood they are burrowing into and puff poisons into their tunnels and plug them, then spray all of the wood with another poison, then paint every bit of wood that is not painted. then spray it some more. They are very hard to get rid of and ever few months they multiply.

While is it no more effective than the traps, it can be fun to go out and swat them out of the air with a bad mitten racket.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
These do not do squat...
They certainly worked in my backyard, and they got rid of our carpenter bees. Of course, you do have to put them out before they start damaging your wood.
We only had a moderate sized wood deck and a wooden play center. I suppose if you have a large amount of exposed wood, you'll have to resort to properly treating the wood to eliminate the problem.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:32 PM

248 posts, read 194,434 times
Almond (not sweet almond) oil is a natural repellent for Carpenter Bees. As aforementioned they are pollinators and our pollinators are on the decline. Repel rather than exterminate if at all possible. They cannot stand almond oil-apply inside the holes they have drilled and they will go somewhere else-to the neighbor?? I have been doing this for years.
Call me weird or whatever you like. I know we need pollinators in the area where I reside.

thanks

Old 05-26-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by composter View Post
...I know we need pollinators in the area where I reside...
We need pollinators everywhere there are plants. I put bee houses in our backyard to accommodate the solitary pollinators in our garden.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:23 AM

25 posts, read 12,180 times
Not sure about the useful part, but there was a carpenter bee nest near my place once and a neighbor suggested I use my vacuum cleaner to clear them up. It wasn't a very big nest though and that's why I had the guts to do it in the late evening hours when most of those guys were resting inside their nest. That was that. Plus, my vacuum cleaner survived :P

Old 06-02-2017, 08:23 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
These do not do squat. Yes they catch some bees, but more just come.

You have to find the wood they are burrowing into and puff poisons into their tunnels and plug them, then spray all of the wood with another poison, then paint every bit of wood that is not painted. then spray it some more. They are very hard to get rid of and ever few months they multiply.

While is it no more effective than the traps, it can be fun to go out and swat them out of the air with a bad mitten racket.
I have excellent luck with these traps. We have all but eradicated them over the last 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature