Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 09:51 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

A bit of interest in the skies this AM.

A crow was harassing a hawk in the air when an identical looking hawk appeared from the distance and high up. He dive bombed the crow and missed the mark by no more that 2 inches. He fell past the crow then climbed and took another attempt. The crow was fleeing for his life as fast as he could beat wings.

It was fun to see a little of what goes around come around.

No one was hurt in this encounter, but I always wonder why the hawks don't pair up like this to stop crows from harassing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 03:21 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No one was hurt in this encounter, but I always wonder why the hawks don't pair up like this to stop crows from harassing them.
Probably because (for good reason) a hawk generally regards regard other hawks other than its mate as competition for resources, not as potential allies. And at this time of the year a mated pair is doing shift work at the nest, so they really can't fly around together.

But I bet in this case the hawk you saw was glad for the help!

Old 05-20-2017, 07:16 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
I always thought crows chased hawks because the hawks raided or attempted to raid crow nests. No?

Old 05-20-2017, 07:49 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I always thought crows chased hawks because the hawks raided or attempted to raid crow nests. No?
Yes...... but I've always thought that they also just have a natural dislike for them whenever they may show up and crows happen to be around.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:30 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
I see the same crows that mob the hawks getting mobbed themselves by smaller birds later in the day.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:15 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
I've seen cooperation between species when harassing a hawk. A couple of bluejays spotted a hawk resting in a tree and began screaming and hollering. Within a couple of minutes, they were joined by other jays and a couple of crows. When the reinforcements arrived, they all began to mob the hawk and chased it to heck's half-acre.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:15 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A bit of interest in the skies this AM.

A crow was harassing a hawk in the air when an identical looking hawk appeared from the distance and high up. He dive bombed the crow and missed the mark by no more that 2 inches. He fell past the crow then climbed and took another attempt. The crow was fleeing for his life as fast as he could beat wings.

It was fun to see a little of what goes around come around.

I saw this exact same thing happen with a pair of prairie falcons. The harassers were desert ravens, not crows. Down low, raptors can't stay with ravens or crows. There were two on one falcon and the other falcon came in off BARCAP in a full dive. Somebody got hurt. Feathers exploded and the busted raven got rode all the way to the ground. The other turned on the afterburners an beat feet.

It was BEEEEAUTIFUL!!

Old 06-12-2017, 11:38 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Hawks vs crows all day long in our backyard. The crows are nesting in a big pine tree, and the hawks are in their usual nest in a big old eucalyptus, and they are screaming at each other from dawn 'til dusk. On occasion they will dive bomb each other. They're driving our dogs nuts!

Old 06-12-2017, 11:57 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I saw this exact same thing happen with a pair of prairie falcons. The harassers were desert ravens, not crows. Down low, raptors can't stay with ravens or crows. There were two on one falcon and the other falcon came in off BARCAP in a full dive. Somebody got hurt. Feathers exploded and the busted raven got rode all the way to the ground. The other turned on the afterburners an beat feet.

It was BEEEEAUTIFUL!!
Stupid birds. It's a no fly zone when falcons are in the air. All flights are grounded around here when a falcon is fluttering overhead. All fighters scramble to attack if it's a red tailed hawk but falcons are no bueno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature